Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this crimper, it's for speedometer cables and I'm wanting to make a new set of inserts to crimp battery cables. I plan to use this in a press but maybe with a hammer if need be. Does anyone know what these ends should look like that make the actual crimp? I've got a few different ideas but not really sure if there is a "correct" way or not. If anyone has any pictures of one that would be great

thanks

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Nothing close up. Once the crimpers are clsoed on the bigger sizes, they form a square.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,449 Posts
That looks a lot like the crimper I bought from McMaster-Carr. I'll try to post a few pics later if I can dig my way out to the garage. Mine has wedge-shaped pieces that form the crimp.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, that pic would be great. I picked this up at a swap meet and was told it's pretty old maybe 40's 50's. It weighs close to 10 pounds and says Hennig Tool on the one piece. I just have to find a piece of bar to make up the 2 inserts and I should be set after I figure out how I want to make the crimp.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Techinally you need a different crimp for each size of cable end you use. i.e. 1/0 is different than 2/0, 1ga, etc

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Techinally you need a different crimp for each size of cable end you use. i.e. 1/0 is different than 2/0, 1ga, etc

Yes I kind of figured that. For now all I'm going to need is one for 1/0 and one for 4 ga I've been dragging my feet on getting my battery moved and everything situated. I did a little more searching and found quite a few that are hexagon shaped so have a few options.

Anyone else have any ideas or some dies they could measure :confused:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The link I posted will do many sizes. There are size specific crimpers for cable and they do make a neater, more uniform crimp but the one I posted works great and tightly crimps all sorts of sizes.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The link I posted will do many sizes. There are size specific crimpers for cable and they do make a neater, more uniform crimp but the one I posted works great and tightly crimps all sorts of sizes.
I've used this style from #6 down to #1

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
I have never used those types of crimpers unless I was soldering as well. Too much crimp and you break wires off, and too loose is too loose. Very hard to find a true happy medium without the exact dye. Dont get get me wrong, as you can still do a good crimp with the hammer style crimpers. I have just seen some that looked good, need to be replaced because they werent. My point, in a round about way, LOL, is that you just need to be more carefully or take some extra percautions with them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a last resort I would make a universal type one like those but would really prefer a few dies for the sizes. I never really liked the crimps those other ones do. I just have to get my hands on some dies to measure but no luck yet.

thanks

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I take my Cables down to the local NAPA store-they make Hydraulic Hoses, and Ihave them crimp them in their Hose Machine-does a great job, and they are an even crimp-

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
I put the wire end in a vice heat it with propane and fill it with solder. I just stick the cable into the solder bingo all done. It will not come out!
That is one of the strongest connections you can make. It is a bit better if you can put any kind of crimp on it first, then solder it. This because the solder does have some resistance in it, so it is better if it is holding a mechanical connection (crimp) in place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts