Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured id post this on the bullet, dont really post to much, usually just read but i figured some of you might find this really interesting.

I work for an aluminum Foundry and Production CNC shop in Muncie, IN, Phillips Patterns and Castings. We making American made parts, Im an engineer and pattern maker.

I've designed up a 671 blower and am machine the pattern right now which will be used to make casting then the castings will be machined into the final product.

Im machining the pattern right now, should have castings by next week and ill post the video hopefully by beginning of next month if anyone cares to see it.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a photo of the CNC machine cutting the pattern, im cutting this in 3" layers of renwood. The layers are just super glued together then i post-process the tool paths and drip-feed it to the machine. This photo is of it doing a Z plan cut and leaving a 0.0500" machine stock.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This photo is the designed pattern i am cutting.

---------------------------------------------------------

This photo is what the finished casting will look like.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Looks good. WOW,SOMEBODY HAS LOTS OF TIME ON THIER HANDS.;)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
i have an A/W from the blowershop and had the idea for the dbl core cooler that would only be 2" wider than the current case used.if you are interested in my idea i would be glad to give measurements and explane them.good luck on your project.i will be watching as it developes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looks good. WOW,SOMEBODY HAS LOTS OF TIME ON THIER HANDS.
This is my job :) but i love doing it and actually drew some of this model on my own time.

Why are you doing this? Are there improvements to be made over what is currently available?
We've improved the strength a bit by adding some material, on a big bore the walls will be 0.375", our side ribs are a bit thicker than normal i believe 0.4" at the top and almost and 1" at the bottom. the underside pockets are smalls so the bars are thicker, we also have a straight across bar for bolting to the intake, a bit heavier over all but a lot stronger. this one is mainly being manufactured for street use, under 11-12 pounds but doesn't mean it can't run harder :).

i have an A/W from the blowershop and had the idea for the dbl core cooler that would only be 2" wider than the current case used.if you are interested in my idea i would be glad to give measurements and explane them.good luck on your project.i will be watching as it developes.
I would be interested in that, we are always looking to make more products and improve on existing ones, we are not still in business because we make bad products :).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can follow the complete build on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DiamondPRacing

Here is some more photos that I've been taking, i'm on my third day of machining it right now, the CNC is rough cutting it right now then i will have a finishing cut on it and be done. Then i just have to machine the core boxes and it will be ready to be molded and cast.

finishing cut on the second layer, 0.25" ball mill machined within ±0.0005.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second layer done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third layer rough cutting.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
in this pic it looks like a dbl core can be placed between the opened up case on both sides of the core and still maintain the std bolt space for mounting.the core width is 4.5"wide and the space is 9" and the core ht is 3"and length is 17.75"from the endplate to the water fitting in the other end.the bare core can be viewed on some of the supercharger sites.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heres more photos of the pattern complete, now just have to mount it to a board, flip in and machine the underside, then machine the coreboxes.

I've also made a video of some parts we where machining in our machine shop earlier today, you can see some glimpses of our supercharger parts throughout the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4BmaiBLd00
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The black lines you see are just pencil marks

·
Registered
406 Posts
well ill definintly keep following this thread. Will you be selling them when all finished?? looking to do a roots on my next motor. late next year for wife's 59 Volvo.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well ill definintly keep following this thread. Will you be selling them when all finished?? looking to do a roots on my next motor. late next year for wife's 59 Volvo.
yes, we already sell half round plates and covers, we have snouts, 55 & 53 tooth pulleys and v belt pulleys machined, idler pulley and brackets cast and waiting to be machined, just have to get them up on our website.

we will have full round plates up to after we finish the 671 pattern.

www.diamondp.com/Diamond_P_Blower_Products

1 - 20 of 153 Posts