Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting together my 460 with a stroker scat crank and scat rods with Clevit bearings. All the bearing holes line up with the oil hole on the block, except the #1 bearing. Is this normal for a 460. As it looks like the oil passage is off centered.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
yes, open it up.

but it does not have to be as totally big as the galley in the block because the front #1 main only has to feed one rod....not two rods as the other mains do.
in the photo shown, I would be more concerned about the other hole that is already partially covered.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
yes, open it up.

but it does not have to be as totally big as the galley in the block because the front #1 main only has to feed one rod....not two rods as the other mains do.
in the photo shown, I would be more concerned about the other hole that is already partially covered.
That is the hole I believe he is reffering to. I would definitely open it up for that hole.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I prefer to clearance the block there rather than drill the bearing. Also, the hole that feeds the cam journal there you can tap and install oil restrictors. Course it looks like you already have the block cleaned and ready for assy. Welcome to engine building ;)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
dont worry about it.. it will oil fine...i have built plenty of em, it is blocking the oil to the cam bearing anyway.. it will get plenty oil as is!! #1 main is the first to get oil.. and it gets plenty.:cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can slightly open up the bearing for the large hole. I use a step drill and open it to 3/8. The other 4 mains have a 3/8 feed hole and I drill the bearings to match. Teh #1 has a 1/2" feed, but I only drill it to 3/8 to match the other 4. The small off center hole is a different story.

The best thing to do is block it off completely. Drill and tap it for a solid set screw.

The off center hole is the feed hole for the #1 cam bearing. only do this for the #1 main It's only there as they had drill it all the way through. If you look at the block closely you can see that this hole intersects a main oil galley a couple of inches above the main bearing. The cam bearing can get more oil than it ever needs from that intersection. The #1 main bearing gets more than it ever needs due to the 1/2" main oil feed vs a 3/8" hole for the other 4 mains.

Plugging the hole just elminates an internal leak allowing slightly more pressure to the rest of the mains.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
we oftentimes press in a special plug or thread tap for a plug/fitting so that the large oil galley only feeds the front main thru a 5/16 hole.
this is also common for a small block 302 ford.

only issue is that the 460 block needs a higher flow of oil because the main feed galley is also the lifter galley...
blocking off / restricting as stated will allow more oil to possibly flow to the other mains..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts