Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm rebuilding my engine & I need to replace the main crankshaft bearings in my engine (572 Hemi), as their pretty much shot, good news is crank is fine.

Old bearings are Clevite M Series, which according to their web site have a 0.006" Babbitt lining on a hard steel back & primarily used on engines which have large crankshaft deflection. Under these conditions the bearings have a short life & should be checked frequently '

I can understand the deflection as I was running a 14-71 blower previously, but as I have now switched to Twin turbo, I was thinking of switching to an alternative bearing.

I was looking at the V Series, which according to the Clevite web site have a lead/indium overlay, what ever that means ? or should I go with a K type bearing ?

The more I read, the more I get confused

Can you help in advising me what type of main bearing to go for.

Car will be street driven, 572 KB with Twin 4788's, hp & Boost TBC

Thanks,
Mark . . .

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy

Am I right in thinking Calico coat any bearings, as opposed to manufacturing bearings ?

·
from across the pond...
6,942 Posts
Yes they do, but go with the clevite H series. We've done r+d on them and they work.
Also you need the correct clearances..

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they do, but go with the clevite H series. We've done r+d on them and they work.
Also you need the correct clearances..
Andy,

I will look on Clevite site at 'H' series, should have crush info, etc.

After bearings have been treated by Calico process, is it smaller in diameter, as in what thickness is the treatment ?

With the Babbitt bearings, my clearances were; Mains: 0.0028", Rods 0.0027"

I re measured the Crank Journal: 2.1992/3" & the Crank Mains: 2.7494/5"
Both a few tenths down from original build, then again, I'm not measuring in the best conditions

·
from across the pond...
6,942 Posts
about 1/2 a thou tighter with the coating. That is both bearings together. You need to measure in ideal conditions.
What make of crank is it? What block? What type and grade of oil are you planning on using? Dry or wet sump?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What make of crank is it? What block? What type and grade of oil are you planning on using? Dry or wet sump?
Andy,
Crank:Callies 4.5" Stroke
Block: Keith Black
Oil: Been running Valvoline or Castrol Non synthetic, but always changed regularly. System 1 Oil filter
Sump: Wet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts