Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy my wife a new cat for her birthday thinking about a Maine ****. Whay kind of temperment do they have? Are they laid back people lovers or loner types? Do they have a lot of medical problems? Are they long livers, her last cat lived 15 years will a **** live that long?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My GF's daughter has one ....and I have to say, it's a pretty cool kitty....very healthy....and that thing loves to play...it can easily jump about 6ft vertical

·
YB Managing Editor
51,468 Posts
I am going to buy my wife a new cat for her birthday thinking about a Maine ****. Whay kind of temperment do they have? Are they laid back people lovers or loner types? Do they have a lot of medical problems? Are they long livers, her last cat lived 15 years will a **** live that long?
Maine ***** are people lovers. You will not find a more gentle breed.

I give this advice to everyone I know when they are looking for cat. Pick the one that gets up and comes to you. If you have to go to it to pick it up it'll be a loner type. The one's that aren't afraid and come right to you will be that way always.

Good Luck..:yawinkle:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maine ***** are bad ass cats. They can survive outside in the coldest of weather if need be. Their tails are super long and they can wrap them around their bodies for insulation. Plus they look like an artists' rendering of a cat. I have a 3 month old female who is terrorizing my 2 full grown males.

·
Registered
924 Posts
They can be talkative and love the water. I had mine trained to whiz in the toilet until my ex-wife decided that it wasnt cool and kept the lid closed.

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
My friend has one and its pretty mellow ( tolerant with young kids etc) but fairly independent, it would rather be left alone if given a choice. One thing though its not fond of dogs giving it any shit at all, they have all learned ( the hard way ) to keep their distance LOL.

·
Registered
592 Posts
They can be talkative and love the water. I had mine trained to whiz in the toilet until my ex-wife decided that it wasnt cool and kept the lid closed.
Mines a ****/mut, but mostly ****. HE LOVES WATER. He'll stand in the dogs water bowl and splash around in it... had to put up plexiglass to protect the wall. Really cool cat, very loyal.

·
Registered
638 Posts
We had one that had the double paws, that looked like mittens... awesome cat. Huge... and super smart. It would jump up on the porch rail, hit the screen door button and let himself in. When he was in, you would swear he was saying "out"... very clear.

I heard they were trying to breed the double paws out of them, so if you can find one, bonus.

They can have a lot of hair, though...

·
Registered
503 Posts
had mine for 21 years !! Got him when I was 8 yr old he was 16weeks ... man did I torture that poor cat but he loved me and all people ... and the stuff you can teach them,he used to do jumps from stand still to over my head straight up ...
died of just old age so he was very health

did have to brush him maybe once good a week , other then that just like all cats in care

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Mine is about 13 years old. He's very friendly, great with kids, tolerates a lot crap (from the kids). Comes when he's called, and loves people. Only issue with him is his long fur. You have to brush him constantly (I learned the hard way), and he loves to use the water dish as a pillow, so his "lion's mane" gets tangled up. One of the best pets I've ever had.

Here is Cody with his dog buddy, Tillie.

D

·
0 Posts
Mine is about 13 years old. He's very friendly, great with kids, tolerates a lot crap (from the kids). Comes when he's called, and loves people. Only issue with him is his long fur. You have to brush him constantly (I learned the hard way), and he loves to use the water dish as a pillow, so his "lion's mane" gets tangled up. One of the best pets I've ever had.

Here is Cody with his dog buddy, Tillie.
I think I know his cousin.....

·
Registered
820 Posts
We had a maine **** years ago,Kato was his name,and yeah he lived a good long life w/o any real health problems other than some minor drooling when you pet him a lot.

Oh,and some hairballs too,but that's to be expected with a long hair cat that does'nt get a ton of grooming.

Any/all male cats can run into urinary tract blockage problems though,so keep that in mind no doubt.

And yeah,he was a very friendly cat,that's what saved him @ the pound when we picked him out,he was the only cat that came to the cage and would put his paw out when we were looking at the cats,opened the cage to pet him and he climbed right up my arm onto my shoulders and it was pretty much over at that point,you could tell he wanted to get the hell outta that place,and that he was going to be forever grateful to have a new lease on life.

And a real climber too,I used to live on the third floor and he'd climb up the tree next to the house and paw @ the window to be let in,and if I was'nt there and he could'nt get in,he'd jump across to the house next door (about 3-4 foot jump across the roof) and try to get in there,the first time the lady next door went to the window to see what was there,he just about scared the $#!t outta her!

I guess she thought it was a big ol' racoon or something!!! LOL

Yeah,Kato was good cat,I would'nt mind another maine **** cat some day.

Have a tuxedo kitty kat right now though,she's been a damn good cat too,Tia is her name,she's kinda a clumsy cat though,appx. 10 years back she had to have ACL surgery due to that clumsiness.

She was kind of a porker back then,she's a 100% straight-up house cat too,we got her trimmed down a bit now though.

She's on about here 5th or 6th life too,got her as a kitten from some friends that found her under the hood of their car after coming home from the bar one night up north,she also survived a fire here @ the house when it got struck by lightning,before that was the ACL incident,just to name a few things,she's like 18 years old or so now,and still hanging in there.

She hates other cats though,but she gets along OK with the two smaller dogs we have.

Kato,the maine ****,he was'nt too found of dogs @ all,and back then we did'nt have any,so that might have factored into that dynamic somewhat.

Good luck here.

Bret P.

·
Registered
21,609 Posts
We have 3 right now. 2 males and a female. There's a pretty pronounced behavior difference we've seen. The males are like big dumb jocks; they are smart,they just don't like to show it a lot of the time. This is our second orange tabby and we knew one other well. For some reason, that color seems more playful and outgoing. Not sure if it's coincidence but it's 3 out of 3 so far. They're everything people here have said, great companions but you need to brush them regularly. If you get two, you'll have a lot more laughs watching them tussle. Buy them as kittens if you can so they grow up together. Please don't declaw!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts