Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be refreshing my motor it is a SBC 436ci eagle crank 4340 4.000inch and 6.000 rod, dart block, I used clevites H series before. I see there is King racing bearings H series and Xp series also the clevites trimetal series. What bearing is good and best? Gonna be cutting my crank .010/.010. Thanks I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
King makes 2 race bearings.

HP- is a bi-metal design with a steel back and softer aluminum silicone top layer.
XP- is a tri-metal design with a steel back then copper layer with a lead overlay. It's a harder surface area than the HP.

I run both bearings but prefer the HP in power adder engines. I feel like they are easy on the crankshaft. Just one example, I ran the same set of HPs in my personal 434 nitrous SBC for 3yrs they were perfect, as was the crank, when we pulled it down a few weeks ago. I even beat the ring lands out of a set of pistons on year 2 and put new pistons in it but kept the brgs because they weren't hurt.

Really I think that proper bearing clearance, good oil system and good maintenance is more important than the actual bearings or having coated bearings or not. Also nothing will matter if you are running sub par rotating assembly with a crank that flexes like a wet noodle.
Will

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I agree with b Williams a crankshaft runs on oil and ideally not the bearing, I've ran clevite bearings and king. We always used king for performance and as a premium bearing, I have no proof of this except the recommendations of engine machinist I've dealt with for 20 years and the 6 shops I deal with through work all say the same.

·
Registered
921 Posts
^^^
I used to use the clevites for years , but have switched over to the kings since I started running nitrous. I think they gave a better choice for options like oil grooves, coatings and over and undersized. Plus the are priced much better than the clevites

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
B. Williams

What crank flexes like a wet noodle? Lol

So my best choice would king racing HP series for nitrous motors?

What about the XP series are they good only for naturally aspirated? I didn't get what you about they are hard on the crank.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
B. Williams

What crank flexes like a wet noodle? Lol

So my best choice would king racing HP series for nitrous motors?

What about the XP series are they good only for naturally aspirated? I didn't get what you about they are hard on the crank.
What crank starts flexing and when depends on alot of factors. Stroke, journal overlap, RPM, weight of rods/pistons, HP..... Non center counterweighted import cranks are obviously not as rigid as say a good Callies, Winberg or Bryant. They all have their place.... just don't be the guy talking shit about "Its the bearings fault" when he's spraying a 50 jet on a $550 Eagle crank....

I prefer the HP bearing but they have a softer material overlay but it can deform under heavy pressure. However if the oil wedge breaks and you do scuff a bearing the soft material is very easy on the crank. The soft material is also more tolerant to debris in the oil.

The XP bearing is good for whatever... I personally prefer to use them in high boost FI engines and certain NA engines but if the oil wedge breaks and you scuff a bearing it's going to mark the crank. The harder material is not as tolerant to debris in the oil.

Not saying that the way I look at this is the only way... its just what works for me.
Will

·
Registered
810 Posts
The original ACL bearing factory is back running. There were a few years we only found old inventory, but we always found them. Now I am setup with the East Coast master distributor direct.

As far as the issues with King and Clevite, we have had both where the face of the bearing flaked off. If they were coated it may not be as much of an issue, but to me it is not worth the risk.

ACL FTW. Period!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'll go ahead and look into ACL race bearings never had used them always used clevites H series. Won't hurt to try a different brand. When I bought my short block it had king bearings but my dad didn't like the way they look Like flakes of the aluminum. I'm only spraying a 38 or 40 jet the most. On a fogger

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.