Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building my first real race motor. I'm checking all specs I can as I'm doing it and I'm to the point of checking the clearance of the bearings. I've always just plastigauged them and thrown it together. Never had any issues. Those were stock rebuilds 6000rpm max. I have bought the proper tools and also plan to plastigauge to see where it falls. The question I have is does anyone go a little further on the main and rod bearings than just check clearance and check for roundness(may not be the right term)? I've read a few articles recently and it seems some people put much more into prepping them and installation. Deburring, chamfering, drilling oiling holes out, using fine scotch bright on the surface, etc.

I've have King coated bearings and plan to turn this motor 7500 rpm+ or so. It will be a nitrous motor to start with and then likely a change to a turbo next season. Should I worry about it or just check all clearances, rod side clearance, set thrust, and endplay?

Thanks for the input and advice.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
It's usually a good idea to measure the bearing shell thickness across the width of the bearing.

Be sure to record all your dimensions so you'll have them when you freshen it up.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Horndog I planned on checking the ID with the bearing installed in several places across and around to check for roundness. Shouldn't that cover what your talking about?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts