Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have not cooked on a real pit in about 7 years or so. I neglected my cheap offset stick burner from Lowe's and it rusted to pieces. I have a Weber but it's nothing like a real pit. Fast forward to a few weeks ago my buddy was talking bout his pellet grill (Rec Teq). I was not looking to but anything right in the middle of saving for a trans overhaul and converter....ugh. Long story short I started looking and the tech has come a long way in pellet grills since I last looked.

So after a few weeks of searching I decided on a Rec Teq pellet grill. I ended up adding a few options and it cost more than I wanted to pay but what the hell.....ya only live once. It's made mostly of stainless....mostly 430 and some 304 but cheap stainless is better than mild steel. We live on the coast and shit don't last long outside around here. I decided on their 700 series grill with a cold smoker box. I could not really find a lot of bad things about them. Sure they are made in China but most stuff is these days. I looked into buying a Yoder and I was prepared to pay their price for made in the USA but damn they charge for every little thing extra option.

I ordered the Rec Teq only to find out I had to wait because they are so popular they can't keep enough in stock. After about 3 weeks it finally comes in. I put it together and notice there is a ding in the smoker box. I normally would not complain but this thing was a little pricey so I don't feel so much like a dick. I call them and they say they can replace it or send me something. We agree on some spice rubs and BBQ sauce. I sent pics of the damage and they ship the stuff the same day. Can't say enough about their customer service. Oh and their customer service were extremely well spoken English speaking Americans...lol. Just little things like that goes along way these day....at least to me it does.

So I put this thing together and let me tell you they don't send any written instructions. That's my only bitch. You have to scan a code with your phone and then it prompts a video to watch to explain how to put it together. It was a shit video. I can barely see my laptop screen much less a phone screen. I figured it out though....lol.

After putting it together I burn it in like they explained. Next day I figured out how to use the wifi setting to monitor the grill. I really did not care much about that but after using it that shit is convenient! It was very simple and easy to use.

Monday rolls around and that's my last day off so I decide after working all weekend to cook something. I decided to do stuffed pork loin after looking in my freezer. It's prolly been in there for 2 years...lol. It was almost 2.5' long. I got it cut in half (shop bandsaw....lol). I defrosted it and filleted it out. I made me a quick rub out of some Tex-Joy (local spice company) BBQ rub cut with some other things including brown sugar. I filleted it open and put some rub inside. I then spread some ricotta cheese down as a base. I them made a stuffing consisting of some DJ's boudain and fresh shrimp both smoked and cooked on the grill. I then roasted some onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms on the pit. It all ended up in the food processer with the shrimp and boudain. I add in some panko bread crumbs and spread it all out and topped it with some fresh parm. I then wilted some spinach and garlic and topped it on top the stuffing toping that with some provolone. After all that I rolled it up and tied it with some twine and covered it with rub. I have never done this and it was a mess rolling it and trussing it up with the twine...lol.

On the pit at 250 for about 30 mins to get some smoke. I used Pitboss fruit wood pellets. 13 bucks for 30 pound bag at Wally-Mart. Then I ran it up to 275 for the rest of the time until internal temp was 145 misting with apple juice every 30 mins or so. Took about 3 hours. After cooking I realized I made a rookie mistake. I should have rotated the meat as one side cooked a little harder than the other side. Give me a break cause I started drinking in the middle of the cook as I had been on call all week and weekend for work so I could not even have a nip. I must say though the other side came out pretty damn good. Very juicy and fork tender. Stuffing was pretty good as well.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share something positive since it seems like every where else on this site is lacking and just the opposite of positive...lol. Posting some pics for reference.

thumbnail (8).jpg
thumbnail (9).jpg
thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

·
Sizeable Member
7,748 Posts
Looks damned good. I love doing stuffed pork loin in the smoker. Only difference is I like doing it at regular roasting temps because the loin is so lean and can dry out on you over a long cook. I bet the sausage helps though. I do mine with a garlic and herb rub, sharp or aged provolone, roasted red peppers, sauteed shrooms and broccoli rabe sauteed with garlic and red pepper flakes.

Reactions: cepx111

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,654 Posts
HELL YES!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I use the hell out of mine, one at the house and one at the cabin.
Wife also jumps in on it.
We have Camp Chefs, just for the ash cup cleanout.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
IMG_20201022_122401.jpg
20200911_170418.jpg
IMG_20201017_195912.jpg
IMG_20201017_201441.jpg

You will get the smoker bug,. You will cook dn near everything on the smoker.

Chicken jalapeno sausage top pic,. Tri-tip and leg quarters. Then pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks damned good. I love doing stuffed pork loin in the smoker. Only difference is I like doing it at regular roasting temps because the loin is so lean and can dry out on you over a long cook. I bet the sausage helps though. I do mine with a garlic and herb rub, sharp or aged provolone, roasted red peppers, sauteed shrooms and broccoli rabe sauteed with garlic and red pepper flakes.
If I would have rotated it the dry side would not have happened. I have the other piece so I might cook it on little hotter temps next time.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 204291 View attachment 204292 View attachment 204293 View attachment 204294

You will get the smoker bug,. You will cook dn near everything on the smoker.

Chicken jalapeno sausage top pic,. Tri-tip and leg quarters. Then pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches.
Yeah....I am trying to get the wife on board to use it. I got her to download the app but I'm pretty sure next time she wants to cook I will get a call from her asking me to turn it on...lol.

I bought a pork belly the other day and I ordered some curing salt couple days ago. I'm gonna try and make some bacon with the cold smoker box one night if it ever cools off here. We had to use our AC last night cause it's so damn warm and muggy here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
One thing you will learn is smokers have different cook times for product. And also find your hotspots on your smoker. Take hamburger buns and lay them on the grill. Check to see what ones darken faster. You get the idea.

Somewhere on that Black ribbon we call the Highway

·
Registered
890 Posts
I honestly think you could take the leather tongue out of a pair of tennis shoes and spice it up, throw it on the rec tec and it would be decent to eat. I have the small one and everything I've cooked on it has turned out good. I think you would have to try to mess something up. I like the 3-2-1 rib. It cooks them a little too much for some but I like the fat to be rendered out as much as possible in my ribs. I also do a lot of the little pork tenderloins I pick up at Sam's. I have the grill grates and it also does good cooking a reversed seared fillet.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna try and do some ribs this weekend. We are supposed to get some pretty chilly weather....well chilly for where we live...lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Scored some Sirloin steaks from Costco, decided to cut them in half so i can share with the wife. These are two different pieces of meat. This is the same in raw like the pic i posted with the veggies on the plate.
20210211_124745.jpg
20210211_124832.jpg

Marker is used for scale.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also after 4 uses, let it cool down. Open the unit up vacuum out all the dust and powder. Don't let the burnt pallets or unburnt pellets build up.
Like mentioned above line the pan with some heavy duty aluminum foil. And invest in the foil drip cups that are disposable. Helps on cleanup

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also after 4 uses, let it cool down. Open the unit up vacuum out all the dust and powder. Don't let the burnt pallets or unburnt pellets build up.
Like mentioned above line the pan with some heavy duty aluminum foil. And invest in the foil drip cups that are disposable. Helps on cleanup

It's hard to see but it is lined with HD foil. I plan on vacuuming it out after every couple of uses. I'm going to cut in an electrical outlet on my back porch next so I don't have to drag an extension cord from my garage.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I guess I need to check the temp probe for accuracy. Pit was way to hot. Ribs turned out more like pulled pork...lol. They tasted great and my wife likes them cooked to almost nothing anyways. I was trying to find a happy medium but it did not turn out as planned. We'll chop up the rest of them today and make some tacos. Gonna start the bacon cure today and smoke next week Sunday. Will post up the results after the smoke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Next time try using the middle or top rack for a more indirect cook. Bottom rack is much hotter due to being directly over the flame pot.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts