Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Anybody use them? Is their coated skirts any good?
Share your story...

I use them in what ever build they have a piston for that fits the build. Great piston design ring packs ETC.

Use about 99% or Mahle in my circle track builds even after 2 or 3 years of service that look great and the cylinders walls look great. Plus most if not all SBC pistons are 1MM 1MM 2MM ringpack.

So far all the ones I have used I have never had to clearance the pin bores they are right to spec.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Great pistons! Never any issues.

Except for the first time I have seen the coating starting to come off in one season.
That's just one set!

Probably use around 3-4 sets a year.

Good thing is when it comes off it will be in the filter. So you possibly could catch it before it gets worse. Have seen coating fails screw up nice new engines!

·
The Phantom Machinist
1,916 Posts
Nice pistons. They do a pretty good job of designing them not to hang out the bottom of the bore. They do require a bit of clearance. The coating probably helps that out as far as wear.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellers.

Do you guys use their power pack or do you use their pistons and somebody else on rings etc.

·
Wart Remover
2,729 Posts
Probably my favorite out of the box piston. I am a bit biased, I'm in their factory/R&D lab a few times a month, and in the past was able to use many of my engines for testing of new designs. They are definitely #1 in coatings, OOTB anyhow.

With all that said, it all depends on your application, like anything. In larger bore stuff they may not be the right choice, but that's not a high volume market for them right now.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Thanks fellers.

Do you guys use their power pack or do you use their pistons and somebody else on rings etc.

I ran the power pack pistons and rings on my mildly boosted BBC. When I got my new block I reused the pistons with a total seal ring. I had to have the top 2 ring grooves opened up, but all is well.

·
The Phantom Machinist
1,916 Posts
I prefer the Total Seal AP steel rings to the Mahle brand Moly rings unless it’s a moderate N/A application.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I like the piston, works good but have had a problem twice with rings being wrong and they do not want to furnish correct rings or discuss the problem, also they are SLOW and they are 55 miles from me and I 'd love to use their product. J.Smith 4621 racing:(

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anybody use them? Is their coated skirts any good?
Share your story...
We use about 50 sets per year of their Powerpak pistons for SBC and 347 Ford. We use the pins and rings from the Mahle package and never an issue with any part.

These are low 500 HP circle track engines.We have also used lots of their Pro Series sets in higher power circle track stuff with no issues.

Customs from Mahle has never worked well from us, not the product, just the pricing and logistics. It's almost like they really don't want to build customs.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Had one in a 540. Broke a valve head off and it went into the piston. No other damage besides some dinging of the chamber that welded up fine. So i'll buy another piston right? Nope. Mahle wouldnt sell me one. They claimed they were discontinued but every vendor I could find would sell me a complete set no problem drop shipped from Mahle. Ended up buying a set of Rac Tecs.

I won't buy another Mahle piston. Ever.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Mahle is a huge international corporation and they are interested in volume and unless you are an OEM, racing program or something they sponsor they are not going to do one offs or special builds. In the pistons they build there is great technology and quality and they do very well in mild race off the shelf pistons but don't ask them for something special unless you are something "special" to them.

I have used their pistons for over 15 years and have always had good results and very few if ever issues. I as others here are not a fan of their ring packages and I pretty much use Total Seal exclusively.

Most builders like to use smaller piston manufacturers for special higher power and rpm level builds because the dimensions, weights, strokes, ring sizes, types and locations, etc.,etc. can be moved around at will for their particular builds and uses.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Had one in a 540. Broke a valve head off and it went into the piston. No other damage besides some dinging of the chamber that welded up fine. So i'll buy another piston right? Nope. Mahle wouldnt sell me one. They claimed they were discontinued but every vendor I could find would sell me a complete set no problem drop shipped from Mahle. Ended up buying a set of Rac Tecs.

That's surprising, I have never had an issue getting singles from Mahle.
Obviously to late for your application, but if anyone ever needs a single, PM me.

·
Registered
49,441 Posts

AFAIK and I've been using Mahle pistons since around 2005, they have only ever sold sets, never any singles

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'll never ever use another Mahle piston after the 9 abortions they sent me. It wasn't a NA build, it was a nitrous build. Every one of these pistons are sharp as hell everywhere and have weird little triangle humps in them for no reason. This was a set of skirt coated, hard anodized, gas ported pistons. They wont do anything about it. So now I either sand every sharp off the piston and bust through the coating, or leave the sharps and keep the coating. There is also plenty of other problems around the outside of both valves. Like they were nice enough to leave me these little .030 thick raised edges around the outside of the valve pockets. Those will melt away first big nitrous hit more then likely. Why not just sand them off since they arent doing anything anyway??

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been using them in the late model Hemi's. They have a couple that are very close to factory weight so very little balancing needs to be done. They are great pistons from what I have seen so far.

·
Idiot Savant
167,203 Posts
Mahle is a huge international corporation and they are interested in volume and unless you are an OEM, racing program or something they sponsor they are not going to do one offs or special builds. In the pistons they build there is great technology and quality and they do very well in mild race off the shelf pistons but don't ask them for something special unless you are something "special" to them.

I have used their pistons for over 15 years and have always had good results and very few if ever issues. I as others here are not a fan of their ring packages and I pretty much use Total Seal exclusively.

Most builders like to use smaller piston manufacturers for special higher power and rpm level builds because the dimensions, weights, strokes, ring sizes, types and locations, etc.,etc. can be moved around at will for their particular builds and uses.

I use smaller piston manufacturers because the corporations are eating the industry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts