Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
You don't need a magnet at all, if you use a "geartooth" type Hall-Effect sensor. As Ernie stated, you'd just need a metal target (metal tab, bolt head, setscrew, etc.).

·
Nitrous Junky
10,820 Posts
I just used a magnet that came in the MSD RacePak kit

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you still having sensor issues with the truck?
No I'm not at all. EFI on the truck is flawless.

I was asking because at some point I'm gonna do a Holley EFI on a big block mopar and trying to plan ahead.

If the hall effect doesn't need magnets, then why did I buy a driveshaft collar with 8 of them? My DS sensor works awesome, just wondering why they have magnets if your gonna use a hall effect.

Will the hall effect work with a magnetic target? If not using a magnet, does the target have to be steel or can it be another material like aluminum?

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will the hall effect work with a magnet? That was a dumb ass'd question. Please ignore that one.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Will the hall effect work with a magnetic target?
Only a "geartooth" type Hall-Effect sensor can be used without a magnet.
A non-geartooth type Hall-Effect sensor must be used with a magnet.

If not using a magnet, does the target have to be steel or can it be another material like aluminum?
A "geartooth" type Hall-Effect sensor can only detect ferrous steel targets.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks danny. While your at it, could you show me the best place to buy either the non-geartooth type and the geartooth type?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Thanks Danny. While your at it, could you show me the best place to buy either the non-geartooth type and the geartooth type?
For magnetically operated Hall-Effect sensors, most people have been using the MSD 2348:
https://www.msdignitiondirect.com/p...348/name/msd-ignition-2348-cam-sync-generator
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-2348

For geartooth type Hall-Effect sensors, which one do you want to use? I use a Cherry VN101504 vane type Hall-Effect sensor (again, no magnet) in my cam sync unit. My 60-2 crank trigger sensor is a Cherry GS100102 geartooth type Hall-Effect sensor.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I used the MSD 2348 and it comes with a 1/4" x 1/4" magnet. A 1/4" x 1/2" magnet would have been easier in the cam gear and Fastenal / Grainger sell them with a brass shield case.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts