Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me start by saying that I'm 51 years old and have been reading car magazines since I was about 14 years old. I seem to get more information out of a magazine than I do off the internet (at the very least reliable information). Maybe it is because that's how I learned to find information on my own, maybe it's just my generation. Anyhow I can learn more from these old encyclopedia's and back issues I have laying around than the whole world wide web. And it's a pretty good bet that what I am reading in the encyclopedia has at least been proofread and is grammatically correct. Enough bitching about that...

I just got my copy of Popular Hot Rodding today. It turns out it is the LAST issue that I will ever get even though my subscription is not at its end. It chaps my ass that I paid for multiple years of a subscription and one day they decide it is not profitable and without so much as a thank you, they tell me that this is the last issue. Shouldn't I get a refund or something?!? Should the attorney general be looking into this scam??? This isn't the only magazine that has done that to me. It's happened with others in the past as well. How can these guys expect to have a loyal following if they pull crap like this? :-damnit No wonder magazines are all floundering. Between rising costs and dropping readership I cannot fault them. But I still should get something out of this!

·
Gone Camping.
10,613 Posts
First let me start by saying that I'm 51 years old and have been reading car magazines since I was about 14 years old. I seem to get more information out of a magazine than I do off the internet (at the very least reliable information). Maybe it is because that's how I learned to find information on my own, maybe it's just my generation. Anyhow I can learn more from these old encyclopedia's and back issues I have laying around than the whole world wide web. And it's a pretty good bet that what I am reading in the encyclopedia has at least been proofread and is grammatically correct. Enough bitching about that...

I just got my copy of Popular Hot Rodding today. It turns out it is the LAST issue that I will ever get even though my subscription is not at its end. It chaps my ass that I paid for multiple years of a subscription and one day they decide it is not profitable and without so much as a thank you, they tell me that this is the last issue. Shouldn't I get a refund or something?!? Should the attorney general be looking into this scam??? This isn't the only magazine that has done that to me. It's happened with others in the past as well. How can these guys expect to have a loyal following if they pull crap like this? :-damnit No wonder magazines are all floundering. Between rising costs and dropping readership I cannot fault them. But I still should get something out of this!
Email them and bitch... I bet you can get something out of it...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You want a partial refund of the $19 or whatever you paid them for a ten year subscription? Put your big boy panties on and get over it dude. Those mags aren't shutting down in some worldwide scheme to defraud AZTony of his social security checks. They are shutting down because it's a dead medium and all the staffers and support people are losing their jobs left and right.

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,907 Posts
Strangely, my current subscription ended with the Sept. issue. ( been a subscriber since 1977)
Haven't read the Sept. issue yet.
Did not know they were killing the title.

I can see why tho with $ 4,500 transmissions, $ 9,000 custom frames, and so on.
Not everyone can build $ 60K street machines.

·
Gone Camping.
10,613 Posts
Yes, you should get a refund for the unused portion of the subscription, but realistically, you probably won't.

But if you don't ask for it, You definitely will get nothing...

It's free to ask... Worst they can do is say no....

But maybe they have something cool around the office you can have. :p

Or money back is swell too. :)

·
Mother Hen
51,602 Posts
But if you don't ask for it, You definitely will get nothing...

It's free to ask... Worst they can do is say no....

But maybe they have something cool around the office you can have. :p

Or money back is swell too. :)
Truth. It's that old squeaky wheel and grease thing.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I emailed them a week ago and have gotten zero response

I figure i'm shit outa luck, but at least its only about $10 worth

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
There's been an announcement about the subscriptions. Pretty sure there's a there on here somewhere. They'll make it right. Have for me on others that have been axed, SSDI and Bracket Racing USA come to mind off the top.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I had a subscription for 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords, which is done for now as well. I sent them a e-mail and got this response below. Guess their honoring the rest of my subscription with Hot Rod, better then nothing.

I apologize 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords has been discontinued with the September 2014 issue. The good news is that in 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords’ place, you will receive Hot Rod Magazine, for the total remaining copies on your subscription. If you subscribe to both magazines, your Hot Rod subscription will be extended for the remaining copies of your 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords subscription.

Hot Rod covers the gamut of hot rodding with an unrivaled mix of technical information, industry commentary, and new trends. Delivering a wider range of information than the competition, HOT ROD engages its loyal readers with a compelling visual style and comprehensive editorial package. HOT ROD brings you the broadest performance car coverage you’ll find anywhere.

Sincerely,

Shantel Tara
Customer Service

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
You can go online and get the number to the publisher and call and speak to customer service. They told me I would be getting Hot Rod, I told them I already get it, they said Car Craft, nope I already get that too. Then she said Motor Trend, I told her no thanks, I just want a refund. She said no problem. I had to look up the number for Chevy High Performance though, because PHR is no longer listed on the site, but they are the same publisher. I'd look it up for you, but I don't have time, I'm at work.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would have been annoyed if PH was a good mag, had turned in to a 20 page flyer. When they close the doors at Hot Rod, that will be a very sad day.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Of the three I get (Car Craft, Hot Rod, and Popular Hot Rodding), PH was my least favorite. It does annoy me that they were just getting into a several part article about big block Fords that I actually had interest in when they cut off the magazine at part 2. I suppose it will be on the internet. Oh well, I am over it. Anyhow, thanks for the input guys. I didn't realize that they were going to extend my other subscriptions. I will have to check into that.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
They aren't extending them. They are replacing PHR with HR, or CC, or MT, but if you already get those, then you are just getting double issues. Call them and tell them what you are already getting and they will offer other options or you can get a refund on the remaining issues in your subscription. I tried to get them to send me MM&FF but they wouldn't do that, I guess because it costs more than PHR. I decided to get a refund rather than get Motor Trend, as I have no interest in the new car rags.

The lady told me they decided to do away with some of the magazines that were similar to others. She said Hot Rod (which she called Hot Rodding) was similar to PHR, and I would like that magazine. I told her I already subscribe, and do enjoy it, but that it is not the same as PHR, that they cover different facets of the hobby. Same thing with 5.0 magazine, they shut it down because MM&FF is similar. I can kind of agree with that one, but I still think they are different enough to warrant publishing both.

Someday, we won't even have any magazines. It will all be internet. I know most here bitch about the magazines and aren't satisfied with them, but I like them for what they are. I enjoy the feature cars, reading about another gearheads pride and joy and what he or she has done to make it their own. I have enjoyed them since before I could even read the words in them, and still enjoy them. It won't be the same once it all becomes online content. I don't even spend much time online anymore, and still don't have a computer, tablet, smart phone, etc. at home. If I'm not at work, I am unplugged. I hate to see them all going away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts