Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i turned my back half 70 camaro 3400 # w/driver into a round tube chrome moly car. lost 700 # off of car now 60' is slow. car 60' before 1.28-1.29 with 468 bbc steel heads & p/g. same drive train as before car 60' 1.35- 1.37 jan 1st @ richmond dragway. best run before was 6.29 @ 110 in the 1/8. car went 6.02, 5.98,6.01 @ 117 mph now. the onther change i made was the new headers dynatech pro stock style vs old hooker super comps. are the headers killing torque ? or do i need to change my converter. current 8" mrt tree master w/5500 stall.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Headers could have hurt low end,or the converter needs changed cause of the weight loss. Couple variables there,contact a converter company and pick their brains.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
well i turned my back half 70 camaro 3400 # w/driver into a round tube chrome moly car. lost 700 # off of car now 60' is slow. car 60' before 1.28-1.29 with 468 bbc steel heads & p/g. same drive train as before car 60' 1.35- 1.37 jan 1st @ richmond dragway. best run before was 6.29 @ 110 in the 1/8. car went 6.02, 5.98,6.01 @ 117 mph now. the onther change i made was the new headers dynatech pro stock style vs old hooker super comps. are the headers killing torque ? or do i need to change my converter. current 8" mrt tree master w/5500 stall.
How was the track that day? Did you make any suspension adjustments?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
converter all the way.weight has alot to do with stall and flash of it.did it have alot of free speed in it.call converter by cameron in sc.he the best around here and ptc. cameron hits mine on the money.

·
Registered
888 Posts
you have several problems..
if you have a video I could give you more accurate info.
but this is what happens to most of the cars I have worked on..

they add lots of hp or lose a lot of weight
and the car slows down .

1. the gear in the back is wrong for a car that is 700 lbs lighter . if it was geared correctly to start with.
2. the converter could be wrong if it was right to start with.
3. I am guessing but you lost most of the weight in the front and you might have made the same mistake everybody makes ,you moved the motor back too . in the old days that was fine but to make a chassis work better you need the chassis to be 50% in the front and 50% in the rear . are up to 52 % in the front .I moved my motor forward 6 inches when I made mine round tube ..to help the chassis
if it is lighter than that you need to adjust the chassis and add weight to the nose
4. I think the 60 ft problem is...your are over transferring the weight and running on the wheelie bars and causing the car to spin on the hit.
5. tighten up the travel limiters and shocks on the frontend and get control of the raise of the nose of the car . at this weight you could weld the frontend solid and it would still carry the wheels to the 60 ft timers if it light in the nose
6. tighten up the extention if double adjustable ,if single adjustment shocks tighten up the knob to 3/4 of the range
7. if it is a 4 link car take bite out of it too.

call me if you need some help and I will help you get through it .
my vette ran close to these numbers and it was 3200 lbs .I have helped a couple guys locally too..

·
Registered
888 Posts
the tires are too big and heavy ....but you might be able to adjust the chassis to make them work ..32 x 14 or 16 would be plenty for a 468 c.i. motor .

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
It's the converter all the way....I understand what superned's saying,But! it only 60'd 1.35-1.37 so I doubt it's riding the wheelie bars anywhere.....There's no weight there, that coverter was made for the old set-up, in the light car it's just not smacking it hard enough, Because of the loss of weight it only moves the car easier, it's not flashing, it's just pulling off!! the heavy car would hit,hook&launch,so you need a converter that'll do the same behind less weight!! Feels like it'll pull for a mile don't it??? It never even hit's the converter!!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
You need to have the converter re-worked for the weight the car is now. Also there is a lot to be said for what superned is telling you. Work with the shocks. Go to the shock mfg get a base adjustment from them. Make changes every run till the car performs the best.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
.....There's no weight there, that coverter was made for the old set-up, in the light car it's just not smacking it hard enough, Because of the loss of weight it only moves the car easier, it's not flashing, it's just pulling off!! the heavy car would hit,hook&launch,so you need a converter that'll do the same behind less weight!! Feels like it'll pull for a mile don't it??? It never even hit's the converter!!
EXACTLY!!!!! if anything the converter has tightened up and the stall isn't there.. the converter plays a HUGE role when effected by weight....
changing everything else first is a waste of time and or money!!

·
Registered
888 Posts
you guys might be right about the converter ..

but I did lighten a firebird 375 lbs and all we did was change the rear gear down a number 486 to 456. and it went .15 hundreds faster with the old converter 5.65 to 5.50. it was a nos combo ..

the car has now been a 5.40 with that same converter after adding more power to the nos tune up.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
call ati today and they recomended send the converter back to loosen it up. said it was definitely to tight. thanks for all the info. next test and tune i am also going to try the old headers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts