Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snaged the 3" endmill off auction and they said it came from one of the big 3. Im wondering just WTF do they machine with this monster? Biggest one ive ever seen! My shoe is a size 11.5, and its bigger.

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
That would be used to make some deep channels/slots. It could also be used to make counterbores/pockets etc. Thats a for some pretty serious material removal and I don't see the big 3 doing that sort of work themselves. That is a big dollar endmill though.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definatly high dollar tool. I got it for next to nothing at $100. lol
Bought it just to flip it to my local tooling buyer and make some cash. You would need a Cat80 or a very high HP Cat 50 mill for this thing. It weighs over 10lbs. Wish it was carbide and not HSS, but still impressive! It would chew a person up in seconds if you got caught in it.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
We used to use alot larger ones to machine pockets in die cast tooling holder blocks, but we've pretty much moved away from high speed steel and use inserted coated carbine now.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stuff on the flutes is just plastic shavings from the tube it was sitting it. Tool is brand new. Its a Niagra brand.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would guess that cutter to cost somewhere in the $700 range new.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Shit I have at least 40-50 pcs like that. Who ever wants them can have them for $20 bucks a cutter. But you have to take all of them and it has to be picked up.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i have used a 4"DIA 15" OAL length carbide inserted end mill before. i also have a boring head for a 50 taper that will bore a 28" hole

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shit I have at least 40-50 pcs like that. Who ever wants them can have them for $20 bucks a cutter. But you have to take all of them and it has to be picked up.
New or used?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I am a tool & die maker at an old GM plant. That was most likely intended for toolroom machining on large stamping dies. Some of those dies are over 20ft. long and 70,000 lbs.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Cool to see...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts