Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their car painted by someone like MAACO. Loooking to do a budget paint job on my bracket Mustang.

·
In the Beams.
21,997 Posts
THEY FUCKING SUCK !!!!!

your better off finding a mom & pop shop or hole in the wall auto body repair joint , or stevie wonder with a paint brush . Anything but MAACO !

·
In Glock I Trust
6,655 Posts
Do all the prep yourself and just let them shoot it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
you get what you pay for... but if you're looking for a cheap paint job you'll get just that.

A friend of mine had a civic done just a few weeks ago. Body work was done by someone else and Macco just did the paint.
Paint was flat in some spots, not fully covered in others and runs in other parts.
Took it back and they blamed it on the body work... how does non coverage and runs result from the body work?
In the end, they told him to "get off the property or they'd call the police"

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you do your own prep work and body work, and just take it to them ready to shoot, it won't be that bad. When I say ready to shoot, I mean, scuffed, masked, ect. That is the only way I would lwet my car on to their property, if they were just spraying!

·
Registered
863 Posts
They are all owned seperately to so service will vary but up here i have had about 3 cars painted for under a G and they looked descent.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
You need to go there and see what kind of work they are turning out. There used to be one in Stratford, CT that did some decent jobs. If you talk to the manager, throw a few extra bucks their way and do the prep work yourself, you can get a decent job.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
THEY FUCKING SUCK !!!!!

your better off finding a mom & pop shop or hole in the wall auto body repair joint , or stevie wonder with a paint brush . Anything but MAACO !
Not true at all. It just depends on the particular maaco location. The best thing to do is look at the cars that are waiting to get picked up and check the quality of the work.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Yeah they did a great job on both of my trailers. Got a buddy that runs the one locally. He is actually a hell of a painter!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I had a car painted by MAACO. They did the body work,paint and baked it. I got alot of complemets about it.. People where shocked when i told them who painted it.. Camp Stanleys Pro Mod Camaro was painted by MACCO. I have seen cars come out of high end shops that did not look as good as you would of thought for the price!!!!!

·
Small tire Pimp
4,303 Posts
They painted my car about 6 years ago

I brought it to them in primer and all the trim and lights and everything off it

500 bucks picked it up the next day

it's not mint by a long shot but looks better then the bruised apple it looked like before

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It all depends on the individual doing the work. The name on the building means nothing, I've worked at maaco years ago and now I do mostly high end European work.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I had mine painted at Maaco, it's not the best paint job - I had to repaint a quarter, and even using the same paint (I bought a quarter of the same paint they used from them at the time I painted the car) it faded really badly as compared to the quarter.... however, my car is a race car (thus the need to repaint a quarter) so I still use them for this type of stuff

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
500 bucks picked it up the next day

it's not mint by a long shot but looks better then the bruised apple it looked like before
It is all relevant to the amount of money spent.I've seen a few cars go down the track with rattle can paint jobs.

A Maaco paint job is adequate for the majority of cars.It would look silly on a 10.5 or Pro Mod though.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,412 Posts
Macco is Hit or Miss. I've had two cars done, one was a bracket car one was a $500 beater/daily driver. Both had flaws like one has some bad fish eye, the other looked like the paint was super thin and you could see the primer almost and both had a dirty that needed to be sanded and compounded.

The more prep you do, of someone who cares does the better the finish product. This spring i'm going to have my commuter car done, but I plan on doing alot of prep and i'll probably hit it with a DA before it goes.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
They paint your car for way less that you can buy quality materials for. They do use inferior materials. If you want 1 color and don't really care, they're OK.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Here are a few before and after shots/vid of my $ 398 Maaco paint job. I did do all of the body work myself ( I'm no bodyman by any stretch ). and I'm very happy with the results. They are basically a tape, scuff and shoot operation
but if you do the prep work you'll get a good paint job for a great price, just don't expect to drop of a car with a lot of dings and dents and expect a show car finished job for 300 bucks. Please click the vid after the pics to see the finished product, the crappy cell phone pic doesn't do it justice.

Before

After

I don't really have any good pics of my car but here is a very short vid of my car so you can get a pretty good view of the paint job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZvsR108ic

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I never had any problems with them. They painted my racecar about 5 years ago and it still looks damn good. It all depends who's doing the job.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts