Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woundering if anyone has any experience using the new Lunati pro series JP6125-8 rods in their Ls motor? According to Lunati they are replacing the 6125FM3 pro series rods. They are the same rod, but just machined by two different companies and the JP6125's are about 15 to 20 grams heavier. Both rods have a 1200hp rated.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Lunati has some really nice stuff all around. For the money I'd rather have a billet rod.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lunati has some really nice stuff all around. For the money I'd rather have a billet rod.
These rods are comparable to the Manley 14359-8 rods. Which went up over $200.00 this year, around 1450.00 a set. These Lunati's are $1138.00 a set. My mockup piston, rings, pin, locks and connecting rod (Howards) was at 1895g total bobweight. If I go with the Lunati's my Bobweight will be 1800g even. 95g betweeen the two rods. My crank is balanced at 1750g. Opinion Billy please.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Are you just trying to get a lighter reciprocating assembly because of the crank balance?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you just trying to get a lighter reciprocating assembly because of the crank balance?
I think it would be a lot easier to balance. Plus the motor should rev a little faster and probably be easier on the rotating assembly overall. In a nut shell it's a $300.00 price difference in the rods. For that money I'm getting a set of rods that's rated for 200hp more, 95g lighter in bobweight, and plus less mallory metal in the crank. Basically I should have known my bobweight before ordering my crank. I screwed myself, but learned a valuable leason when ordering parts. This motor has bean a big learning curve for me.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Personally I'd stick the heavy metal in the crank and rock the Howards billets.

True story (short version): LS 427, Howards billets, 450 shot of juice, 1400HP...........electrical issue, HUGE BACKFIRE, engine still ran just didn't run right afterwords. Engine tear down..................6 rods bent into "S's" but still intact. Pure demonstration of how good the rods actually are. A 4340 rod would have snapped under the same circumstances.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Personally I'd stick the heavy metal in the crank and rock the Howards billets.

True story (short version): LS 427, Howards billets, 450 shot of juice, 1400HP...........electrical issue, HUGE BACKFIRE, engine still ran just didn't run right afterwords. Engine tear down..................6 rods bent into "S's" but still intact. Pure demonstration of how good the rods actually are. A 4340 rod would have snapped under the same circumstances.
I'm told the Lunati rods can take a lot of abuse also. It's a hard choice. I've never heard anything bad about the Howards or Lunati rods. I will only run USA made components so that narrowed my choices a little. I'm hoping 850hp on the motor strickly N/A. I've never seen PI/Mast heads and intake on a 15.1 408ci iron block motor with a big solid roller and a good alcohol carb. Probably not the first.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm told the Lunati rods can take a lot of abuse also. It's a hard choice. I've never heard anything bad about the Howards or Lunati rods. I will only run USA made components so that narrowed my choices a little. I'm hoping 850hp on the motor strickly N/A. I've never seen PI/Mast heads and intake on a 15.1 408ci iron block motor with a big solid roller and a good alcohol carb. Probably not the first.

My 421 has seen 8500rpm and made 630rwhp NA with the old Lunati Promod rods.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Manley makes the rods for Lunati...
I was told that Manley machined the 6125FM3 rods for Lunati, same weight and looks as the Manley 14359-8 rods. But now Lunati has a more local company machine there rods. Same material and forging just machined differently to be a little stronger and about 10-15g heavier, this rod looks more like a Crower billet rod. This info is directly from Lunati.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The Lunati 6125FM3 is made by Manley, same as Manley 14359-8. These are billet rods.
The Lunati JP6125-1 is their Pro Mod rod, not billet. A nice rod but not as strong as the billet rods.
The Lunati JP6125-1 is not the Manley 14359-8 rod.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Lunati 6125FM3 is made by Manley, same as Manley 14359-8. These are billet rods.
The Lunati JP6125-1 is their Pro Mod rod, not billet. A nice rod but not as strong as the billet rods.
So what Lunati told me was wrong? They actually said the JP6125-1 is suppose to be a little stronger then the 6125FM3s.

·
Registered
871 Posts
So what Lunati told me was wrong? They actually said the JP6125-1 is suppose to be a little stronger then the 6125FM3s.
I was always told the billet rod was stronger. The JL6125 is alittle heavier, maybe by being heavier they meant stronger.
I have been to Lunati several times, and there service consultants, reads out of a catalog, just like you or me can do.
Both rods are great rods, but the 6125FM3 is the premium rod.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The JP6125-8 rod looks nothing like the Pro Mod rod, which they stopped making them a few years back and where only around $700.00. According to Manley's and Lunati's web site they are all 4340 forged rods. The old Lunati part number LTE9 were advertised as billet rods. I'm I wrong?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was always told the billet rod was stronger. The JL6125 is alittle heavier, maybe by being heavier they meant stronger.
I have been to Lunati several times, and there service consultants, reads out of a catalog, just like you or me can do.
Both rods are great rods, but the 6125FM3 is the premium rod.
Steve at Lunati said both rods were rated to 1200hp and the JP6125-8 were superseding the 6125FM3's

·
Registered
871 Posts
The LTE9 is the Pro Billet (6125FM3).
The LAE-1 is what some called the Pro Mod. (JL6125).
I have the Lunati Pro Billets, if I was buying rods again, I'd buy the Callies Compstar I-Beam Race HD rods.
They look just like the Lunati/Manley Pro Billet Rods, but cost alot less.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The LTE9 is the Pro Billet (6125FM3).
The LAE-1 is what some called the Pro Mod. (JL6125).
I have the Lunati Pro Billets, if I was buying rods again, I'd buy the Callies Compstar I-Beam Race HD rods.
They look just like the Lunati/Manley Pro Billet Rods, but cost alot less.
I only buy USA made components. I guess I'll have to call Lunati Monday because the LAE-1 rods look nothing like the JP6125-8 rods. Not saying your wrong, but just want to make sure if I decide to order them.

·
Registered
871 Posts
That's cool. Alot of times companys show the same rod in every picture no matter which part# they are referring to. I have seen a picture of a H-Beam Rod and a I-Beam part#.
There is nothing wrong with either Lunati rod, but the Pro Billet is the better rod.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Good man. I only buy USA made now too. look at the dyers rods there made of 300M steel very nice rods.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts