Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been gathering parts here and there. No need to bash me for using an RHS block that is what I have and it is what I'm using.
The block is a std. deck 4.165 bore
Crank is Winberg 4.00 stroke
I've been thinking about using Callies Ultra I beam 6.125 rods.
Diamond Forged pistons
Not sure which heads to use though.
This is my weekend toy '06 GTO.
Sheet metal intake probably a Marecella.
My question is since this is a N/A car which head combo would be the best for this set up?
Part of me wants to buy a set of canted valve heads from Frankenstein.
So right now I'm torn on which rods to use and which heads would be the best for this set up.
I'll get into the cam once i figure out whick heads and intake.
Please no bashing just some ideas would be nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
A lot of it depends on your budget and intended purpose/goals.

The Callies Ultra I-Beam are really nice rods and have good rod to cam clearance.

For heads, LS7 from WCCH or Frankenstein would be fine. If you want more, then the Mozes heads are a good choice.

Set clear goals first, then ask a few builders their thoughts. Make your own conclusions.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already blown the budget so I'm going to put above average stuff inside and out.
Honestly, I don't have a HP goal because more times than none it's usually less than you expect.
Just want something nice, able to drive it on the weekends do some street racin' and have some fun.
I don't care if it needs race fuel to run it, but don't mind spending the extra cash to make it live too.
Here in Arizona, I don't know too many guys who really build above average engines. I'd like someone in town
to build it so I have someone who I can actually go and see in person vs. talking on the phone.
Hell, I don't even know how much HP this set up could actually make being N/A. All I know is that if you start
pushing the RHS blocks too hard they tend or might crack. I like running N/A anyways.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Where in Scottsdale are you? My dad lives there, and I used to live in Deer Valley/North Phoenix until 2004.

For a machine shop in your area, I'm not certain. I build all my own, but I'm in SoCal now. Here's an older post with some good suggestions. I'd do your own research, but stay away from "Beck".

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542671

Cole

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
We have developed a few programs like the LSX that we use on the ATI CoPo super stock Camaro and Bryan Broddus CoPo Super Stock, ..
and similar program in a Brodix casting would be very nice for a street strip application like your talking about.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
All Pro Ls7 12-1 from Chris Frank would be my first choice, second would be from Richard at WCCH. Canted valve or splayed valve heads would be overkill for a street motor IMO.

·
FUCK TONS OF FUN
17,113 Posts
Out of the box rhs ��

Franks is pretty good but id be interested in what boogs has aswell

They both know what they are doing

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where in Scottsdale are you? My dad lives there, and I used to live in Deer Valley/North Phoenix until 2004.

For a machine shop in your area, I'm not certain. I build all my own, but I'm in SoCal now. Here's an older post with some good suggestions. I'd do your own research, but stay away from "Beck".

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542671

Cole
I sold my house close to downtown Scottsdale and am in the process of building a new house and a 3200sqft shop for myself. My new place is up in north Scottsdale just past Troon.
I need to make some calls to everyone who has PM'd me and see which heads will work for my goals. I really appreciate this place and it's great to get some ideas.
Really not in a big rush to get it done since my house hasn't even broke ground yet. I'm really just gathering parts for now until the shop is done.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Mike Lewis Racing Engines will make you a balanced rotating assembly, do it right and stay on budget. He is in California, but he gets high marks for machine work and knowing the combos.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
All Pro Ls7 12-1 from Chris Frank would be my first choice, second would be from Richard at WCCH. Canted valve or splayed valve heads would be overkill for a street motor IMO.
I have both of these.. Richard did the work on my stock LS7 heads and did it in 2 weeks.. Those heads a Ed Curtis cam and Marcella intake made 660/570 at the wheels in my C6Z.. Now that was with 13.8:1 comp and E85.. Chris did my All Pro heads and they were the first set he ever did and they took 9 months or so.. They were doing a All Pro intake for me as well and again it was the first one they ever did.. They messed it up while machining and that's been 5-6 months ago.. I've called and emailed recently asking him to just send me a refund check cause I'm sick of waiting and the fact that I haven't received a update now in 5-6 months.. Still waiting on a call, email, or a check.. As for his heads I just made 800 with a LME billet intake with a single TB and 844 with the same intake with a dual TB snout and dual 90mm TB's.. I already have a 102mm TB from my old setup and will be adding a second 102mm for the new setup.. LME is consistently getting 40-50 HP just switching to dual TB's on their bigger engines.. We were going to try the FRH ported All Pro intake with a 6500 TB against their billet, but didn't get to due to the lack of FRH producing us an intake..

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have both of these.. Richard did the work on my stock LS7 heads and did it in 2 weeks.. Those heads a Ed Curtis cam and Marcella intake made 660/570 at the wheels in my C6Z.. Now that was with 13.8:1 comp and E85.. Chris did my All Pro heads and they were the first set he ever did and they took 9 months or so.. They were doing a All Pro intake for me as well and again it was the first one they ever did.. They messed it up while machining and that's been 5-6 months ago.. I've called and emailed recently asking him to just send me a refund check cause I'm sick of waiting and the fact that I haven't received a update now in 5-6 months.. Still waiting on a call, email, or a check.. As for his heads I just made 800 with a LME billet intake with a single TB and 844 with the same intake with a dual TB snout and dual 90mm TB's.. I already have a 102mm TB from my old setup and will be adding a second 102mm for the new setup.. LME is consistently getting 40-50 HP just switching to dual TB's on their bigger engines.. We were going to try the FRH ported All Pro intake with a 6500 TB against their billet, but didn't get to due to the lack of FRH producing us an intake..
WOW, that sucks to hear about FRH. From what I understand both WCCH and All Pro have approx. a two week turnaround time for heads and intakes.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was curious about single vs. dual T/Bodies. I'm sure that you can over do that area and lose some airspeed if too large unless it's an all out type of racing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dart is supposed to be coming out with a little chief for the LS very soon, maybe not soon enough for your build though. Things never seem to hit the shelves when expected.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I was curious about single vs. dual T/Bodies. I'm sure that you can over do that area and lose some airspeed if too large unless it's an all out type of racing.
How can you put to much TB on?? Your engine can only consume so much air.. If your not seeing atmospheric PSI in your plenum then its restricted.. Look at ITB setups and the size of each TB..

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would think that if you had too large of an intake T/B that the air speed would suffer? I do realize that at wide open throttle you would want that but what about part throttle for some sort of drive-ability?
To me what would be a nice set up if it would fit is two AccuFab 4 barrel type T-Bodies. My one concern is that I'm DBW and am not sure how to drive those with that type of set up? Reason I say that it it would be neat to use the hood intakes as a ram air type of set up.

·
Registered
852 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts