• Standard Deck

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Tall Deck

Votes: 26 61.9%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would like to see a tall deck iron block! And matching intakes of course! But I know that wasnt what the question was.

I never though about aluminum though, I hate messing with sleeves.

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
Are they planning to significantly enhance the lower end integreity ? I know the lsx block has been showing some weaknes in the area of the main bearings.

If and when GM Performance Parts releases an aluminum version of the LSX block which would you like to see?

Robin

·
Registered
950 Posts
from what i understood is that the aluminum lsx block is not going to be Strong enough to hold any big power adder but its going to be more for the N A cars ... per Cary at ET performance told me and a good Buddy of mike k ( tuff )

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from what i understood is that the aluminum lsx block is not going to be Strong enough to hold any big power adder but its going to be more for the N A cars ... per Cary at ET performance told me and a good Buddy of mike k ( tuff )
Maybe they are basing thier opinion on current Aluminum production blocks. Since there are none at this point in time it would be premature for anyone to speculate on the capability of the part.

For a big power adder you would benifit from the rigidity of a iron block. I can't see too many people using an aluminum block as a basis for an all out combination.
In a dream world you see a lot of people who WANT an aluminmum block for a 2000 plus horsepower deal. Wanting it an getting it to live would be expensive. Never say never, there is always someone with the time and money to prove us all wrong;)

My own personal opinion is that a tall deck would sell best to those who want big cubic inches and to tell the world. "I got a 480" LSX" But what do I know.:rolleyes:

Robin

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought the alum. LSX block was dreamware at this point? They are really going to make it? Call me then.
Geez John, ya think that I would be puting up a poll if they were just dreaming? I mean you know I got a lot of better things to do.:cool:
Sure I am still waiting for the Iron Tall deck as well as the 6 Bolt LSX heads just like you. But development takes time and you got to make choices.
The other projects are near (please I don't have a clue) so the boys have to work on something.:)

I am not trying to waste peoples time asking what color the cup holder needs to be in my truck. This is information that is being gathered for the Marketing/Engineering people at GM Performance Parts.

Opinons appreciated. My guess on the percentages was wrong so far:(

Robin

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Tall deck all day long Robin. I'm not looking to make 100000 hp, but if it will be o.k. to the same level that the existing lsx is, that would be more then fine.

Way I figure it is when I have to build a new motor, everything will end up being replaced anyway so why not go tall deck. An intake that sits low with staggered runners (sheet metal that will fit in an f-body, with some cowl cutting) would be great if GM could have it mass produced to go along with the block.

I've had awesome luck with my ls2 402 motor, I'd love to get a 4.18 bore/4.5 inch stroke 494 ci motor together, I'd guess that it would make a good 150 hp n/a more then the 470 the ls2 motor makes, and a 200 shot on top of that would make for a solid low 8 second setup, with alot less weight then the iron motor.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
If you are going to build one do a tall deck. Why limit a wicked LS to a limited cid. Do a tall deck so we can build it big and run big twin turbos. Don't forget is need at least 6 head bolts per.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I'll take a conventional Gen1 block with an LS head bolt pattern(6). Now we're talking.

That's actually not a bad idea either. I like the way you think Chris....
We've just done an iron LSx.... an aluminum tall deck and a Gen1 retro'd for an ls/ 6 bolt head would make for a wealth of possibilities.

·
Super Moderator
34,776 Posts
Heck at that point, just give me an R3 Mopar block.

There have been great designs in engine platforms for many years. While I have been happy with the rusults of the LSX engine I do not see the benefit of scrapping the Gen1 foundation such as the block, crank. Oh well. They all build the same.... engine is an engine.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Any more news on this piece? :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.