Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LS7 block with a cracked sleeve on the number 8 cylinder. Is it worth fixing?

Any guess on what the cost would be?

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Around $1200 to $1500 to fix.

·
LSXTTFMF
927 Posts
Send it to ERL for a dry sleeve or have a reputeable shop install some darton sleeves. Just curious what you did to crack it?

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Nah, it really isn't.

What I would do is just get a dry sleeved LS7 block from ERL or ERL dealer and send them your block for the core. They don't care if the sleeve is cracked..............they're re-sleeving them anyway. ERL says $1550. A dealer can cut some off the top at times.

ERL dealers that I know of and all are great guys are Kurt Urban, Clay Forrester, and Billy Briggs.

Another option would be to check out other guys that can sleeve the blocks. "Blue 81 Malibu" (Tom) @ TNT Racing Engines or Shawn Miller of VA Speed.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Send it to ERL for a dry sleeve or have a reputeable shop install some darton sleeves. Just curious what you did to crack it?
I got treed!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it from a customer of mine for building a six speed for him. I love trade out work.

He had it in a 69 Camaro. I think detonation killed it, but no one is to know. This car got gets pounded on.

I will check with ERL and VA

·
Registered
725 Posts
Billy,
1200 to replace a single sleeve in an LS? MAN.... I will do it all day long at that price!

I should offer that service public I guess!

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Billy,
1200 to replace a single sleeve in an LS? MAN.... I will do it all day long at that price!

I should offer that service public I guess!
No sir that's all 8. If you have capabilities to sleeve one hole in aluminum LS blocks we have a phone conversation in order.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Hehe, too funny.

I'll give you a ring sometime next week. Thanks Dennis.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No you don't just replace 1 sleeve, especially if it has cracked and will need welded. The ERL Dry sleeve includes thicker Ductile iron sleeve, bored, decked, cylinder honed and align honed mains, so you don't have to take it back to a shop and have it finish machined.

·
Registered
725 Posts
No you don't just replace 1 sleeve, especially if it has cracked and will need welded. The ERL Dry sleeve includes thicker Ductile iron sleeve, bored, decked, cylinder honed and align honed mains, so you don't have to take it back to a shop and have it finish machined.
Damn...after all this time I didn't get that memo?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The LS7 blocks crack all the time at the unsupported flat end at the corners of the block. Usually it's not NA but NOS or turbos or blowers detonating but we've had several with cracks on number 8 even down the bore?

We usually use RED or ERL and replace them with all 8 ductile iron sleeves that can go bigger or smaller than what was in there and are much stronger.

If the block cracked into the alumimun or has to be welded the block will have to be honed bigger or the cylinder next to the repair is usually way out of round as Billy is most likely alluding to.

We've done these and then just hone to 4.130-4.135 and got new pistons when people didn't want to replace all 8. I prefer to do all 8 though so we don't see them crack again with a customer that's already doing this.

Steve at RED was fixing these from day one and has tons of pics of the repairs and types of cracks seen on the OEM LS7 blocks. We've probably repaired maybe 25 of them that came through here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts