Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Victor Jr's ports are quite a bit smaller than my CNC ported heads. How much horsepower would you speculate it would be worth to open up the ports to match the heads on a 550 crank HP motor?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for the price in port work, you may be better off stepping up to a victor if you have the hood clearance.
That is the problem right there. I have a flat hood and I like it.

I have ported many sets of cylinder heads and have flow bench verification on a few pair. I have always match ported the intakes but never tested before and I after. So, I will match port the intake myself. However, I wasn't planning on doing any plenum work because I have no experience or testing with plenum work. Now if there would some tried and true plenum modifications for this particular intake that people suggested I might tackle them.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
a friend has a 6.0LS with a set of prc heads and a edelbrock vic jr intake with a 850hp carb. i ported it for him and it picked up a solid 2 tenths and 2mph. his heads are cathedral port, and the edelbrock intake had injector bosses cast into it. I cut them down and blended them so the runner exit was smooth and didnt obstruct the top of the catherdral port. i also gasketmatched and blended the runners to his heads. i opened up the top of the runners in the plenum slightly. i left the casted in bars on the plenum floor un touched.

IM NO PROFESSIONAL PORTER!so i charged him 150$ what i did seem to work.

depending on your combo you could have more init too.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
screw image shack click the link so see the photo

this was about 3/4 the way through blending the injector boss out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
your telling me. i couldnt beleive it myself! car went from going 10.80's to solid 60's. i think the mph went from 121-2 to 124. when i got the manifold the cast in bungs for the injectors covered the entire peak of the runner. im not sure if they are all like that but again it could have been a fluke i dont have a flow bench ir claim to be a professional porter. im lucky enough to have a set of good carbide bits, a vernier caliper and a inside mic. lol

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I could pull two tenths and two MPH out of this intake, I would do a little happy dance. :-D If I could get 1 more MPH out of it I will be happy.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
take your time, get a good set of carbide bits ( i used a long shank oval and a long shank pine tree on this one) a few sand rolls and a cross buff and go little by little. i use wd40 on the bit to lubricate although im sure real porters have a preferred choice. ive done mayb 8 or 9 intakes all together and have had sucess and fun doing it. spending the money with a real intake and head porter will certainly yield a better result but if youd rather save all that dough and not be far off try it yourself thats what i did. my first porting project was a eaton m62 blower on my daily driver cobalt ss. im a jackass so if i can do it so can you!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
take your time, get a good set of carbide bits ( i used a long shank oval and a long shank pine tree on this one) a few sand rolls and a cross buff and go little by little. i use wd40 on the bit to lubricate although im sure real porters have a preferred choice. ive done mayb 8 or 9 intakes all together and have had sucess and fun doing it. spending the money with a real intake and head porter will certainly yield a better result but if youd rather save all that dough and not be far off try it yourself thats what i did. my first porting project was a eaton m62 blower on my daily driver cobalt ss. im a jackass so if i can do it so can you!
I have a collection of custom carbide bits I had made by Huff Carbide back in the day when I was porting heads frequently.

I have match ported many intakes to the heads I ported, but I never measured before and after so I have no reference as to how much I have to gain.

I also have no idea what a LS1 Victor Jr. flows, so I can't quantify what gains are available that way. I know that my CNC ported heads flow 312 CFM on the intake. And, I know that the intake runner width on the intake is about .150" to .200" narrower than the heads ports.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a friend has a 6.0LS with a set of prc heads and a edelbrock vic jr intake with a 850hp carb. i ported it for him and it picked up a solid 2 tenths and 2mph. his heads are cathedral port, and the edelbrock intake had injector bosses cast into it. I cut them down and blended them so the runner exit was smooth and didnt obstruct the top of the catherdral port. i also gasketmatched and blended the runners to his heads. i opened up the top of the runners in the plenum slightly. i left the casted in bars on the plenum floor un touched.

IM NO PROFESSIONAL PORTER!so i charged him 150$ what i did seem to work.

depending on your combo you could have more init too.
I haven't pulled the intake back off yet. Do you remember if the port tapers down at the head? I just wonder if the entire port needs to be enlarged. That would be easy on the center 4 cylinders, but I don't know if I can reach all of the port on the outer 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
We have a Super Vic on one of our LS1 motors. It made 651 before a light port job and 686 after. Needless to say it is coming back off over the winter to take out some more meat.
whats the combo? that is a nice gain. im itching to pull mine off and get it hogged out.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I am not a "real" porter either but I use ATF, I dunk the bit pretty often. cuts alot faster and keeps the bit clean and cool

·
Registered
122 Posts
at what rpm did the hp increase after the port work? was there any torque loss(i doubt it)
thanks.
:cool:
Hp Power would lay flat at 6300ish and stay almost exaxtly the same out to 7800. After the sapcer it peaked closer to 7300 and then went flat. We still need to port the intake out more so it will continue to pull.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts