Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mr. Noisy
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, a friend of mine is looking at a super stock class here in australia that requires the use of an ls1 alum engine in a holden commodore, monaro(pontiac gto) or ute.
the class permits a single carb or efi with a maximum of 358 cubes.
the class stipulates 9.4lb/cube.

the only problem is you cant run a hood scoop to give the carb room to breath.
the index is 9.25 for stick cars and 9.40 for automatics.

what would be the best way to build this engine?

cheers, justin.

·
Mr. Noisy
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
has to be n/a.
these ls engines seem to be awesome!! they are making some serious power. :)

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
Get someone like ET performance to setup some LS7 style heads and use the ls7 intake. Should be able to turn around 7500rpm with that combo and make oddles of power and solve any carb to hood clearance issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would personally start to look at a big bore short stroke and spin it to the moon motor as if your going to use big heads with the lil cubes going to need a good bit of rpm. (that is if there is no head restrictions in the class minus it being a lsx platform.) What are you talking budget for this? Can come up with all the wizbang stuff but if you want to spend xyz not going to fit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
355ci

I would be thinking about something like this :

ERL 6 bolt LS2 Block.
GRP aluminum rods.
JE custom Pistons(4.2).
Callies custom crank (3.2).

4.2 Bore X 3.2 stroke =355 ci

ETP LS7 heads (Canted valve Heads if you have the green) .

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Is there a rule abut a wet vs a dry sump? if not, with a motor that's got a really short stroke and a big bore, you could probably build a dry sump pan and with a tubular k member, or at least a modified stock one lower the motor in the car a good bit,making more room for the intake.

if it has to have a carb, look at the intake that ET just came out with, it's a 2 piece design that's a carb style intake, sits a little high and won't help your hood situation but from the looks of it you probably coudl mill a good bit off the top of it to lower it down some.

If that would still be too tall, a victor jr, mill a little off the top and port the shit out of it. There's alot of material on those to port, and if you were to mill the top down you probably can get it under the hood taht way.

The GM performance one is the shortest one, but is probably the worst flowing one.

You want to be able to turn that motor to at least 7500, for the class that you want to run, I would do as mentioned aboove, you could do it on the cheaper side with a 4.125 bore 3.25 stroke and have a 347, which is pretty much stock displacment. You'd be able to put the piston up in the bore good like that and get a bore/stroke ratio that would really allow for some RPM. Solid roller is a must, and like I said, if you can run a dry sump and there's no rules against it I would, because then you'd have the oiling you need to go to 9000 rpm, and for what you want to do, that may be nessassary.

Lots of rpm, that's what you need to run a class like you want to run. ls7 head, c5R head, aftermarket et head would be the way to go with it, they'll flow the air you need to turn rpm like that.

Kurt Urban would be the guy to get ahold of about a motor like this, he's doen more with lsx stuff then anyone and probably would have the best feedback.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
ok, a friend of mine is looking at a super stock class here in australia that requires the use of an ls1 alum engine in a holden commodore, monaro(pontiac gto) or ute.
the class permits a single carb or efi with a maximum of 358 cubes.
the class stipulates 9.4lb/cube.

the only problem is you cant run a hood scoop to give the carb room to breath.
the index is 9.25 for stick cars and 9.40 for automatics.

what would be the best way to build this engine?

cheers, justin.
Justin what car u putting the ls1 in and what state u from in australia

i might be able to put u on to some one if u are in the melbounre area-

Thanks

Nick--

·
Mr. Noisy
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gday nick,
its going into a 05 monaro, its not mine, another guy from leeton owns it.
he is running a 4 speed in the car(liberty?) and it has a 4 link and 32x14's

im really interested in the class, but id like to see a class for the 5.4 ford engine.
i reckon these engines have massive potential and these guys in the states are getting awesome power from them.

·
Mr. Noisy
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay-lez's car-

he is not happy with his current program-

he seems to be running okay-

Thanks

Nick--
gday nick, i was only using les's car as a reference.
its not as neat as this one yet. :)

he should be happy with his car, it runs 7 tenths under the index.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
gday nick, i was only using les's car as a reference.
its not as neat as this one yet. :)

he should be happy with his car, it runs 7 tenths under the index.

No worries-

though u were talking about lez- him and robbie been running good this year-

Thanks

Nick--

1 - 16 of 16 Posts