Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was helping out a friend at his shop. He had been building some 6.0L LQ4 engines and a couple of LS1's for customers. I noticed when I installed the cam on the 6.0 it was really hard to install and it wouldn't turn easily. You had to put the gear on and spin it with a wrench. I figured the cam bearings were the wrong size or the cam was bent. He says he's had that happen in the past quite frequently and he had a machine shop tell him that's common. IS IT REALLY? is there something wrong there???

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Mine have never been like that. I would get someone else to install the bearings next time

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Yes, The cam bearings are a big pain in the butt on the LS2 engines. What I have done is put the cam bearings in the freezer overnight and install them. If not you will be polishing cam bearings for hours... Do not let that thing fire up with those cam bearings being tight!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
^^^ Tim, How does that make them fit better? Obviously they will go in better but how does it allow the cam to fit better by freezing. Is the housing bore too tight from the factory?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Plus there are 2 different sets of cam bearings for the LS engine, no chance he got the wrong set installed?

Keith

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
^^^ Tim, How does that make them fit better? Obviously they will go in better but how does it allow the cam to fit better by freezing. Is the housing bore too tight from the factory?
They are a very hard press fit. What happens is you damage the bearing a bit when you punch them in,by freezing them there a little easier to get in without damaging. 1&5 are the worst!

And yes make sure you have the right beaings think the Clevit # is SH-2125S and the Durabond is a,heck cant remember the Durobond #. I like Durabonds better in the LS blocks.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the first set of bearings were wrong they wouldn't even go in the block. Got the correct set and they went in no problem. He told me on previous engines both himself and the machine shop both installed cam bearings. Could the cam bearing tool cause an issue? He has one that has the adjustable installer dye that you tighten up to hold the bearing and install.

Do they need to be deburred at all?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Yes the first set of bearings were wrong they wouldn't even go in the block. Got the correct set and they went in no problem. He told me on previous engines both himself and the machine shop both installed cam bearings. Could the cam bearing tool cause an issue? He has one that has the adjustable installer dye that you tighten up to hold the bearing and install.

Do they need to be deburred at all?
If its tight you can usually see on the bearing where it's rubbing a bit. Deburr or polish as necessary. I think what happens is that there such a tight fit that the bearing warps a bit from knocking them in. I hate doing them.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
What needs to happen is, the housing check for size and if any of the cam tunnel bores are small the od of the bearing need machined to allow for it.

Keith

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
What needs to happen is, the housing check for size and if any of the cam tunnel bores are small the od of the bearing need machined to allow for it.

Keith
I agree. But sometimes even when all the bores are good there still bitchy....lol

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I agree. But sometimes even when all the bores are good there still bitchy....lol
I agree, just like a woman....L.O.L.

Keith

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have yet to have cam bearing issues with an LS engine, I use the coated Durabonds and the cam always spins freely.

Now old chryslers - there's a nightmare with fitting cam bearings.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I have yet to have cam bearing issues with an LS engine, I use the coated Durabonds and the cam always spins freely.

Now old chryslers - there's a nightmare with fitting cam bearings.
New ones also..........

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Recently I was helping out a friend at his shop. He had been building some 6.0L LQ4 engines and a couple of LS1's for customers. I noticed when I installed the cam on the 6.0 it was really hard to install and it wouldn't turn easily. You had to put the gear on and spin it with a wrench. I figured the cam bearings were the wrong size or the cam was bent. He says he's had that happen in the past quite frequently and he had a machine shop tell him that's common. IS IT REALLY? is there something wrong there???
The factory seems to line hone the cam tunnel with the cam bearings installed from what Ive seen.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well thanks guys. Next time he or I do another one we'll check the bores and also the fit on the cam itself. He only uses the durabond bearings, not the coated ones. Even though they're tight the motor spins over fine once the timing chain is installed and has no issues on first fire up. So far two engines that have left the shop are running great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts