Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about swapping over to a LS motor and was curious if it is worth the extra money? Right now I am running a 383 in the mid 11's that is fairly mild. Id like to throw some nitrous at the LS motor if I decide to go that way. What kind of times could I expect with a fairly mild LS build? The LS motor would be in a 94 Camaro. What kind of build problems would I run into compared to a Gen I build? Ive never been around LS blocks. Is it possible to run into the mid 9's with a fairly cheap/mild LS build?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Im thinking about swapping over to a LS motor and was curious if it is worth the extra money? Right now I am running a 383 in the mid 11's that is fairly mild. Id like to throw some nitrous at the LS motor if I decide to go that way. What kind of times could I expect with a fairly mild LS build? The LS motor would be in a 94 Camaro. What kind of build problems would I run into compared to a Gen I build? Ive never been around LS blocks. Is it possible to run into the mid 9's with a fairly cheap/mild LS build?
I've seen a car run 10.60s with a stock bottom end 6.0 with Dart Ls1 225 non ported heads with a super victor intake and a small hydraulic roller in a 3300Ibs. car. I consider that a very mild motor. Junk yards are filling up with these motors. It's a win win situation. It don't take a lot to make these motors fast. IMO it's the best bang for the buck out their period. Back in the day it took a good Gen 1 solid roller motor with good compression to do that.

·
Fastest mustang roller
3,005 Posts
Not an expert but I think the stock valve angle in the ls is an advantage over the Gen 1 23 degree. The aftermarket is still growing for the ls stuff too. If you build a 408 with stock style ported heads you can runs 9's on nitrous pretty easy. If u use aftermarket heads and a LSx block with big cubes low 10's high 9's in motor with 8's on juice.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
My sons 02 Camaro dynoed 495 hp on speed ink dyno.Stock crank, rods,pistons(fly cut for ptv clearance) 346 cubes.Trickflow cnc ported heads,milled to 57cc,11.9 compression,ported fast intake,92mm tb, 240/240 cam,Automatic car 4000ss yank conv,car has run best of 10.08 at 131. 3050 lbs. Mid 10s are possible with cheaper heads and more weight.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the info I wanted to hear. I have one guy telling me I am wasting my money trying to build an LS block and another guy telling me I can run 9.50's easily and on a budget with a 6.0 liter LS block. I hope that I can build a 9.50s or faster motor with the LS, I am looking forward to the challenge and a new experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts