Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first time poster.

this is the only message board to me worth actually following.

I would appreciate some help with my cam specs for a motor I’m putting together at the moment.

the rest of the specs are as follows

l98 block bored 0005 over
Forged srp rods with valve reliefs
Lunati rods
stock crank
706 heads
11.2 to 11.4 compression depending on gasket selection but was going to aim for 0040 - 0050 quench
Tie bar lifters
Va racing billet 85/96
W2a intercooler
Ls2 intake manifold

we have good quality e85 here in Australia that tests at 85 %

will run e100 at the track

going into a 2500 lb 10.5 radial car with a glide.

haven’t decided on a cam yet as I wanted some Better advice than what I can find.

my compression and small runner heads will assist in low speed torque production and hopefully with spool a fair amount.

I want to keep revs safe and maximise the area under the curve at moderate boost levels.

with my compression and the limits of the stock crank and alloy block somewhere around 1000/1200 wheel is all the motor will ever see.

hopefully 20psi should net this for me and the air intake temps will stay manageable with the large 85mm wheel.

please help me with choosing my camshaft and even your thoughts on a converter to suit too.

trying to ensure the combination is all well thought out as possible and not just stumble blindly through choosing parts.

thanks in advance

car is a 4 linked and caged fd3s rx7 too if that peaks any interest haha.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Call John Bewley. The man knows his shit in the LS turbo combo world. He also designs custom cams as well. Full Proof Performance (502) 264-6394. I asked him to spec a 5.3 ls turbo combo for my street car to go 9.90. Its gone 8.74 in a rod a piston 5.3. Everything else is stock truck. I drive it everywhere.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Definitely don't try to have a tight quench, .050+ is fine. You have a easily attainable goal and cam design is honestly no big deal. There are several to choose from and I would just buy one from Brian Tooley Racing (BTR) they also have great spring kits. As far as power goes, RPM is your friend. Trying to make big power anywhere around peak torque is a mistake that can and does lead to catastrophic failure. The highest cylinder pressure occurs at peak torque which is also where the greatest chance of detonation occurs. This is what breaks cranks, bends rods, pinches rings, etc. You are also running a fuel that is only 105 octane with a static CR that is more like what I would run on methanol in a non turbo limited application. People have run high 7sec 1/4mi times on stock short block LS engines but they did it at over 8000 peak RPM. I would try to keep big power production in the 6000 - 8000 range. Hope this helps.

Reactions: tblentrprz

·
Registered
200 Posts
John Bewley is the man. Mark Campbell at Comp Cams is legit too. TurboII is preaching the gospel. I've taken out a couple ls motors having making a crap ton at peak torque. Pretty much I roll 2 degrees out at from 4500-5000 and roll it back in from 5500 to 6000. Once I started I spinning high like 7500-8000 my motor was alot happier. Slowly creeping up on 8500 currently. They also sound great turning 8000 rpm lol!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts