Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I made my own with old bolt just cut a grove in it. Works great.

Tim

·
Registered
49,465 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Maybe able to use tap extensions too if you really need to tap
Walton Tools
Whitney Tools
Check Production Tool Supply or Redi Tool (depending on your location)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apperently, ARP 912-0011 is the part number for the M11X2.0 thread chaser for the Ls cylinder head bolts. Still looking for the M10X2.0 block main chaser.

·
Registered
49,465 Posts
all m10 threads on the block a 1.5 pitch not 2.0 pitch

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all m10 threads on the block a 1.5 pitch not 2.0 pitch
This info is coming directly from ARP. I went through several taps to get this pitch right also. The only threads on my Ls block that is M10x1.5 are on the back of the block for the trans or bell housing. The head and main bolts are both 2.0 pitch. Also found the M10X2.0 tap for the block main bolts, it's made by OSG. Should receive it Friday and know for sure. Also ARP tech department said they are in the process stocking a M10X2.0 thread chaser for the Ls main bolts/studs.

·
Registered
49,465 Posts
This info is coming directly from ARP. I went through several taps to get this pitch right also. The only threads on my Ls block that is M10x1.5 are on the back of the block for the trans or bell housing. The head and main bolts are both 2.0 pitch. Also found the M10X2.0 tap for the block main bolts, it's made by OSG. Should receive it Friday and know for sure. Also ARP tech department said they are in the process stocking a M10X2.0 thread chaser for the Ls main bolts/studs.
I'd avoid running a tap down the main threads. your likely to remove material from them and make them weaker.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Ya I like using a stock bolt with some cutoff wheel grooves, wide ones at the bottom of the HG to hold debris. The arp chasers are good too, but it you run a regular tap thu its gona have chips on it. I guess the thread % stock is less then standard 75.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 10mm 2.0 thread chaser is a good find, I been looking for that one!

Kurt
I should receive it Friday, I'll let you know if it works and give you the part number. The picture looked more like a chaser then a tap. For $15.00 I'll try it. What do you use currently?

·
Registered
49,465 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I don't need them often, but I use a cut bolt on mains and I found the head one. I have the tap for 11mm 2.0 but don't like chasing threads with taps as it loosens the threads sometimes. GM suppliers normally use the type of tap that I believe is called thread rolling/roller, which is much stronger if you can clean them easy. I only use those in aluminum because I'm chicken of breaking one in the block!!

Kurt

I should receive it Friday, I'll let you know if it works and give you the part number. The picture looked more like a chaser then a tap. For $15.00 I'll try it. What do you use currently?

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
GM suppliers normally use the type of tap that I believe is called thread rolling/roller, which is much stronger if you can clean them easy. I only use those in aluminum because I'm chicken of breaking one in the block!!

Kurt
X2.

The threads for the mains and head bolts/studs are rolled threads and not cut threads in the first place so no taps!

The threads in aluminum blocks are pretty easy to burnish anyway so the roller chaser works great. For cast iron blocks, where I typically have to battle a little rust from time to time, I use stock main and head bolts that I knurl the threads on in the mill. Once the bolt(s) have run their coarse, I just toss them and knurl some more.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really appreciate everyone's input, very helpfull. I'll use the ARP chaser for the head bolts and a cut bolt for the mains. I'm just very surprised ARP or another company has not come out with a thread chaser for the main bolts yet.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had Taylor Tool in Canada make ours at the school and for some other shops about 10 years ago and still have some of them I ordered for myself plus the ARP head chasers. We use them all everyday. The oem bolt cut also works fairly well. Nice ARP is finally making a main bolt version.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts