Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Senior Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EFI guys I need some help replacing or cleaning my injectors in our 2001 Yukon 6.0L tow pig.

My 2001 Yukon XL 2500 6.0L has 250,000+ miles on the stock injectors. Since the injectors are part of the heart in these EFI motors I was thinking it would be a good/easy tuneup like changing points and plugs on a 327. There is no problem right now, this is just a tuneup/ preventive maintenance type of deal. I know very little about the stock EFI or racing EFI systems.

After doing some Googling, I see you can clean them by energizing them and spraying carb cleaner through them. There are some "kits" for doing this cheep and then the ones you pressurize the fuel rail with an air hose.

Is this process really doing anything? I do run Chevron Techron or Marvel Mystery through it a couple of times a year.

Then i thought, what the hell I will just buy new AC Delco injectors and just replace them. Well I wasn't expecting to pay 6-800 dollars for them. Thats out!

I am kind of lost here on which is the best and cost effective way to do this.....

Thanks for any insight.
Tom

·
Registered
272 Posts
Likely don't need to do anything with injectors. The system is protected with pre-pump filter sock and inline fuel filter (good for 100K miles) to keep junk out. If you typically run good top tier fuel (I believe Chevron with Techron is the best) and an occasional bottle of Techron (every 10K miles) your injectors are likely very clean and performing as expected. FYI - Redline SI-1 cleaner is the best in tank additive that I know of.

One of the best services you can do on older motors with some carbon build up is to clean combustion chambers with water or better yet, -20F or -30F washer fluid (includes meth). This will help improve/restore some engine power. With engine at operating temp, put 8oz of washer fluid in container, connect 2ft 1/8" hose to fuel regulator vacuum port, insert a small vacuum connector in the end of the hose as an orifice to reduce the hose ID and minimize how much cleaner in sucked in, run engine at 2500rpm and then suck about 1/2 oz of cleaner at a time. Engine may slow some. Let it recover and give it another dose. This will usually improve engine idle quality and I've seen mpg increase by 10-15% due to restored chamber efficiency. HTH

·
A Senior Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply.

Likely don't need to do anything with injectors. The system is protected with pre-pump filter sock and inline fuel filter (good for 100K miles) to keep junk out. If you typically run good top tier fuel (I believe Chevron with Techron is the best) and an occasional bottle of Techron (every 10K miles) your injectors are likely very clean and performing as expected. FYI - Redline SI-1 cleaner is the best in tank additive that I know of.

I have replaced the fuel filter twice with an AC delco and do the Techron a couple of times a year. Thanks for the information. I would have thought there was some kind of wear and tear on the injectors at 250 thousand.

One of the best services you can do on older motors with some carbon build up is to clean combustion chambers with water or better yet, -20F or -30F washer fluid (includes meth). This will help improve/restore some engine power. With engine at operating temp, put 8oz of washer fluid in container, connect 2ft 1/8" hose to fuel regulator vacuum port, insert a small vacuum connector in the end of the hose as an orifice to reduce the hose ID and minimize how much cleaner in sucked in, run engine at 2500rpm and then suck about 1/2 oz of cleaner at a time. Engine may slow some. Let it recover and give it another dose. This will usually improve engine idle quality and I've seen mpg increase by 10-15% due to restored chamber efficiency. HTH
Wow this is still done. I have done it in the 70's, but it was more like a squirt bottle into a Quadrajet and man did shit come out of the exhaust of some the old beaters. I will give the old steam blast a try.

Thanks

·
A Senior Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it’s running fine leave it, injectors are not a maintenance item.
Thanks
This is proabley the best advice and will save me a headache of some sort.

·
A Senior Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like "new" at 40 bucks apiece.

This could be a tough one. I have one of them big bottles of Techron ready to go at the next fillup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts