Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some info on the different ls motors. I see people mention lq4 , lq9 , gen 3 block , gen 4 block etc. I am looking to turbo a ls motor what is the best options out there ? Also o see mention on 317 heads , 243 , what os a better option to look for. Also I see where people prefer the 5.3 vs 6.0 for turbo charged applications. What block should I bee looking for iron or aluminum. I also seen ls motors with cable throttle body and some with electric. I will be running a fast xfi on my setup. So in other words what should I look for and what should I stay away from in this turbo build. Thanks

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
thats a lot of questions for one post lol... a lot of that stuff can be answered if you just google the engine codes...

the 243 is an ls6 head... which came on 405 hp 5.7.... the 317 is the same head with a bigger combustion chamber used on lq4 and lq9 6.0 in 3/4 trucks and vans etc... both are cathedral port heads

lq4 6.0 is the same as lq9 6.0 except the pistons and cam. the lq9 came in SS trucks escalades and vortec max trucks etc... it makes a little more power due to higher compression pistons and better cam. they are both iron blocks.

hope this helps some.

·
Registered
20,224 Posts
and iron blocks are stronger, but heavier than alumn., so if weight is a concern
5.3's are cheaper and more plentiful than 6.0's, may be one reason they get used-boost is the equalizer, lol

·
AMP Racing member
3,492 Posts
I don't believe FAST will control a DBW throttle body... So you'll need a cable driven one. I could be wrong though... I have been before once or twice...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts