Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an external crank trigger kit which could be mounted to an ATI balancer/drive using conventional LS serpentine pulleys? If there is an MSD type kit (4-pickup), can the signal be converted to use a stock PCM for a 24 tooth wheel?

I am space limited in all directions so I cannot use the factory sensor behind the starter. I am using a Powermaster starter which is rotated all the way in to the block in order to gain header clearance. The frame rails are narrow to the point where the headers were built to be tucked all the way in to the block making it impossible to use the factory sensor. I am running an automatic transmission so a reverse mount starter is out of the question. Running the headers over the frame rails is not an option either. I also do not have enough room in the front of the engine to extend the accessory drive, so a distributor is out.

·
Registered
724 Posts
you can't use anything other than the factory reluctor on a OEM computer. If you go with something like BS3, you can go 4 magnet (with a distributor setup) or with the BS3 24 tooth external if you want to stay COP. The BS3 external bolts to the front of a standard ATI balancer so you can retain serpentine.

you would need to fabricate a mount for the pickup though...here is one that Va Speed did for me...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can't use anything other than the factory reluctor on a OEM computer. If you go with something like BS3, you can go 4 magnet (with a distributor setup) or with the BS3 24 tooth external if you want to stay COP. The BS3 external bolts to the front of a standard ATI balancer so you can retain serpentine.

you would need to fabricate a mount for the pickup though...here is one that Va Speed did for me...
Excellent, just the kind of info I needed. Where can I get the BS3 external 24 tooth reluctor? I did a quick search on Google and didn't see anything.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any BS3 dealer can sell you the wheel. I make a bolt on bracket that puts the MSD sensor on the drivers side bolting on the lower two front cover bolts.

Kurt

Cool, thanks Kurt. I just figured out that "BS3" stands for Big Stuff 3 so I have got a lead! I may get up with you on a bracket but I will have to see how it plays out with my motor plate set-up first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there anyone that makes an externally mounted factory style reluctor? Kind of like the bs3 piece, except with a factory pattern and sensor. Does anyone have ideas where to get one? I have some other engines i'd like to run an lsx pcm on and thats the last piece I need to get it working. Anyone? :smt100

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ol melsie! what ever happened to that monster you were bringing out with soup or slaw to beat us???? LOL
I think that was more SuprSlow talking that shit up as a result of your heated threads on efa and tech. That motor ended up in Michigan in a car owned by dude named Patterson. It went in a fox body for an all motor class where I think he ran 8.60 at around 157 or so with a Liberty 5-speed. I decided such a motor would have been more high maintenance than I could afford at the time. Wish I would have kept it actually because I have spent way more since then anyway... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there anyone that makes an externally mounted factory style reluctor? Kind of like the bs3 piece, except with a factory pattern and sensor. Does anyone have ideas where to get one? I have some other engines i'd like to run an lsx pcm on and thats the last piece I need to get it working. Anyone? :smt100
The way I understand it from 'Nutcase' you can use the BS3 wheel and the old style MSD pickup which has a magnet in it. I suppose it could then be used with a factory PCM or MSD 6010 unit...anyway that is what I am hoping.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The way I understand it from 'Nutcase' you can use the BS3 wheel and the old style MSD pickup which has a magnet in it. I suppose it could then be used with a factory PCM or MSD 6010 unit...anyway that is what I am hoping.

the early bs3 stuff had a 3 mire pickup that would work like the factory pickup did. The wheel was designed differently as well. If you call Leo at bs3 he might still have some. I can hook anyone up with the bracket if needed.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone seen the holley 58x (60-2) crank trigger setups they are selling for their holley dis? It looks one hell of a lot like a 58x lsx crank reluctor. I'm wondering what kind of signal it puts out, if it would match the factory 58x setup. Then all I would need is a 4x cam signal which I already have a source for to make it work for my application.

In the instructions for installing it, it says to set up the sensor on the 10th tooth with cyl 1 is at tdc. Does anyone know if thats how the factory 58x setup works out with 1 at tdc.

If that works out you could use an msd 6012 to put cop on any big block or small block chevy using off the shelf parts, and with a little work you could put it on anything. Holley is using it as a waste spark system because they don't want to sell a cam sync setup with it to simplify it and make it more affordable i'm guessing.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Anyone seen the holley 58x (60-2) crank trigger setups they are selling for their holley dis? It looks one hell of a lot like a 58x lsx crank reluctor. I'm wondering what kind of signal it puts out, if it would match the factory 58x setup. Then all I would need is a 4x cam signal which I already have a source for to make it work for my application.

In the instructions for installing it, it says to set up the sensor on the 10th tooth with cyl 1 is at tdc. Does anyone know if thats how the factory 58x setup works out with 1 at tdc.

If that works out you could use an msd 6012 to put cop on any big block or small block chevy using off the shelf parts, and with a little work you could put it on anything. Holley is using it as a waste spark system because they don't want to sell a cam sync setup with it to simplify it and make it more affordable i'm guessing.
I'd have to go and look, but I believe the one edge of the teeth, at the "missing teeth" area, is a little different. I.e we don't have material where they do in one spot. So I'm not sure if the factory GM ECU will like that.

Other than that, the "gap", would have to be in the same exact spot as the GM position.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea I bought the motor orginally, sb2? Kevin went some 8.50's, won the all motor deal at Milan 2 years in a row. Ended up selling the car but local guy bought it and motor and trans ended up here http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316697 he did good in the class as well.
Yeah SB2.2 motor. That was a tough decision on my part but hey man good to see you are still out there goin fast one way or another. I guess the Firebird is long gone? I had seen some vids of your Mustang recently- lookin pretty mean.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts