Mahle pistons?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Looked like Diamond

·
Registered
356 Posts
So what happened? Did it spin a rod bearing and then proceed to destroy everything else?

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
To "me" it looks like yanked the pin boss off the bottom of the pistons and the rod did the rest when it was swinging free in the block... Either way, I hate to see someone's hard work end up like that... Hope you get it going again, soon.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Im with drag...

Looks like the base of the wrist pin bore failed, or the wrist pin bent leading to the same. any way you cut it looks like the rod and piston came apart and the rest is history.

How many runs on those rods? possible rod stretch issue?

Definately Diamond Pistons too.. can see DRP on the underside

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
From what I can see of the other bearings it all started with a lubrication problem. How much clearance did the rods have in the block? If clearance was tight, the bearing spun, the rod big end hit the block some where and ripped itself out the bottom of the piston.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, it sucks bad. I guess it is all part of the game.
I too think it was the piston.
20+ on the dyno 4 in the car. All the bores on the rods like good so i dont think it was a strech problems. it comes back to what came frist the chicken or the egg?
Its a short stroke 3.35 so rod clearence is not a issue
Diamond pistons, GPR rods

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Sucks for sure.

If you are turning it as hard as the other MS guys a stock pan and pick up is a real issue. You need a pump pickup and pan that will rase the volume of oil.

Tim

·
Registered
998 Posts
Sucks for sure.

If you are turning it as hard as the other MS guys a stock pan and pick up is a real issue. You need a pump pickup and pan that will rase the volume of oil.

Tim
wondering this as well, been looking in to a new pan for my car because of reasons such as yours, starving for oil on hard launches

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Autopsy shows it was a rod bearing that spun, the rest is just a story.
Started cutting up the pan for baffles and a trap door. Any segestion for placement or design.

Kurt what pan do you like to run, i think im going to modify the stock one. Is there a better stock pan then the f-body. it seems to be the biggest sump, but its not very deep? Should i put the pick-up at the back off the pan? I know it needs baffles to keep the oil from climbing the wall , both on accel, and decell. Anyone have pics of some other pans. Hoping to get it back together for the chi twon super bowl july 12.
Thanks Guys
Dave

·
Under Construction
4,026 Posts
Could go dry sump, prolly the best fix to everyones problems other than $$$ lol

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I would look at a auto craft pan stock filter location. Moroso would be the best but it requires a remote filter.

Contact Tim at the car shop inc he has some stuff that is working really good in my car.

Tim

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
The mains look damaged, that is not normally from the oilpan. I think the pan will cause damage, but the mains is probably something else. The factory pump will have some issues as you exceed 8000rpm, but that would not be my first guess if the engine lasted that short a time.
I would choose the Moroso as my favorite pan, but I don't know if the pan mounted filter option is done yet.

Kurt

·
Registered
49,496 Posts
it all started with that lifter wheel and camshaft lobe failure, and then it just kept eating metal until eventually something siezed up and it shit the bed.

Bet the inside of the pump is all chewed up to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts