Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 5.3 out of a Silverado a good candidate for a performance build?
I'm an old SBC kinda guy & my son wants to build an older Chevy truck using an LS engine???
Not looking for an 8 second build, just something solid

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Look for a 2006 or newer engine .. They have the floater thicker rods .Try to find one with 799 head casting number..

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Books like this from SA design will get you a good start. They offer many different LS series books for swapping, turbo applications, Big cubic inch builds, etc.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck is an '06, I can grab the truck harness, Is it worth using or is there an aftermarket harness available?

·
Previously Banned
10,224 Posts
Bboost03. Tons of people make plenty of power with gen3 5.3s, and by 06 they all had the 243/799 head. Dummy.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The stock harness will work fine. but if you want a pretty and hassle free harness. Look into BP Automotive harnesses. Bill has the best looking and all GM Correct harness out there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The stock harness will work fine. but if you want a pretty and hassle free harness. Look into BP Automotive harnesses. Bill has the best looking and all GM Correct harness out there.
This Bill guy you speak of .......... will he do custom harness for any application.... and computors........???

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Bboost03. Tons of people make plenty of power with gen3 5.3s, and by 06 they all had the 243/799 head. Dummy.
Yes a lot of people made good power with the early years.. But why buy a early gen for around the same money get the newer better motor.. Also I have towed 06s in to the junkyard with the older heads dummy.. It only takes a min to look at a casting ## ..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so, I got to look at the donor truck, It's a 4.8L WTF? Am I doomed???
Is the 4.8 worth the time to remove it?

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
so, I got to look at the donor truck, It's a 4.8L WTF? Am I doomed???
Is the 4.8 worth the time to remove it?
There are a few 8s turbo SBE 4.8s .. Also the 4.8 and 5.3 are the same block.. What are the casting # on the heads??

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Ive been using hptuners to tune the 98-04 gm's and from what i have read and understand the cheaper/easier option is to use a setup with the 2000-2004 ecu and harness. 98 has half the timing and fuel tables resolution and 05 up run can buss and drive by wire (personally i prefer cable drive)

Lt1swap.com has EVERYTHING you need to know about swapping and how to cut up a stock harness to use as a standalone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts