Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cam Motion recommended a cam to me and was wondering what you guys thought about the cam. Roughly what kind of power is it going to produce and how's this thing going to act on the street???? (As far as driving 75-100 miles at a time??? They Recommended The PENETRATOR Cam dur. @ .050 int.230 exh.238
Lift with 1.7 .637 .620
Lobe sep. 112
Int. c/l 108
Usable Rpm Range is 2400-6400

As far as the rest of the motor it is a 5.3 LM7 block bored to a 5.7L with forged flat top pistons with -3 cc dual valve reliefs.. Arp rod bolts and king race bearings... 243 casting heads no work done other than a new valve job ... HV Oil Pump ... ETC.. Also it should be right around 10.5.1 compression

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Intake? Converter stall? Gear Ratio? Weight of car? I bet Kip asked you all of those questions and more before he recommended it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2800-3200 stall 4l80e Trans 4.56 gear, Holley hi ram intake , fuel injected , 3300 lb. car 36 lb injectors (not 100% on injectors may go bigger) 92mm throttle body

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Intake? Converter stall? Gear Ratio? Weight of car? I bet Kip asked you all of those questions and more before he recommended it.
2800-3200 stall 4l80e Trans 4.56 gear, Holley hi ram intake , fuel injected , 3300 lb. car 36 lb injectors (not 100% on injectors may go bigger) 92mm throttle body

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
That is a pretty tough combo to spec a cam for. You have a smaller displacement engine with a short runner intake with a lot of taper and a pretty tight stall converter. If it is just a street hotrod, that cam will have a nice idle lope to it while maintaining some good street manners and will spin up to 7000 RPM no problem. I might be tempted to put some more overlap in that camshaft if you had more stall converter, but it all depends on what you are doing with the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a pretty tough combo to spec a cam for. You have a smaller displacement engine with a short runner intake with a lot of taper and a pretty tight stall converter. If it is just a street hotrod, that cam will have a nice idle lope to it while maintaining some good street manners and will spin up to 7000 RPM no problem. I might be tempted to put some more overlap in that camshaft if you had more stall converter, but it all depends on what you are doing with the car.
It's just a street car but I plan on taking it to the track a few times a year.... But was looking for a average horsepower/torque number.... And I don't have the intake yet, is there another intake that would perform better??

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
With a tight converter like that, you are going to be better off with a Fast intake. It will make way more bottom end and midrange torque. Now if you wanted to put a 4500+ stall converter in it, it might be a different story. Did you tell Cam Motion that you were planning to run the Holley Hi-Ram when they spec'd the cam?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With a tight converter like that, you are going to be better off with a Fast intake. It will make way more bottom end and midrange torque. Now if you wanted to put a 4500+ stall converter in it, it might be a different story. Did you tell Cam Motion that you were planning to run the Holley Hi-Ram when they spec'd the cam?
No they never asked about the intake if I recall, they just wanted to know if it was carbed fuel injected nitrous or turbo... I initially started this build to do a turbo build but figured I'd get a cam for now untill next summer when I can have all my turbo stuff put together (when I get all the money). I've heard good things about the Holley hi ram when being used in a turbo build??! What should I expect out of this build if I had cam motion spec me a turbo cam instead and dual turbonetics turbos (66-70mm)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
That cam they spec'd will like a FAST or LS6 type intake better than it will the High Ram. As for the turbo thing, running a combo that is built for a turbo is always a sacrifice. I certainly understand the desire to save money by doing it once, but you have to expect that it will be pretty weak until the turbo goes on. A turbo cam will likely look a lot different than the one you listed above. If you do go turbo, you are going to be changing out those 4.56 gears pretty quick. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That cam they spec'd will like a FAST or LS6 type intake better than it will the High Ram. As for the turbo thing, running a combo that is built for a turbo is always a sacrifice. I certainly understand the desire to save money by doing it once, but you have to expect that it will be pretty weak until the turbo goes on. A turbo cam will likely look a lot different than the one you listed above. If you do go turbo, you are going to be changing out those 4.56 gears pretty quick. LOL
Yea I know on the gears... Lol ... But that's what cam motion told me.. He said I'd be better off running the cam above naturally aspirated and switching to a turbo cam once I'm ready to run that combo.... Do you have any idea what kinda power range I should expect turbo'd with around 10-14 lbs. of boost ??? At first this was supposed to be a budget build with the zo6 cam single turbo and now I want to build something one time so I got forged pistons, racing bearings, good rings and they are gapped for turbo.... Also now I want cam motion to spec me a turbo can rather than run the stock zo6 cam... I'd really like to know the pros and cons of this build being turbo'd vs naturally aspirated

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I have no experience with a Turbo LS. I do have to say though that I am thoroughly impressed and inspired by everything the member stock48 is doing. If I were going to build a turbo build, I would read every post he has made. His stuff is simple, well thought out and absolutely outstanding performers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no experience with a Turbo LS. I do have to say though that I am thoroughly impressed and inspired by everything the member stock48 is doing. If I were going to build a turbo build, I would read every post he has made. His stuff is simple, well thought out and absolutely outstanding performers.
Ok thanks! I appreciate your time I'm going to definitely check his page out , when I finally get it together I'll post some pics and numbers... I plan on getting it dyno'd too...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts