Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
What kind of power will an iron ls 5.3 take before she goes??
turbo or what?

with like 600 dollars in parts and a turbo setup a buddy just made 855/1150 on a 76mm

another guy here in town has one that made 800hp and 900lbft

not sure about nitrous but a guy at the track this week was running in the 10.30 class and slowing it down so he didnt break out

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
We have had a few 1000 RWHP 3.3 iron blocks bored to 3.900 and they are all fine.
3.3?

:smt103 :smt082 :smt119 :partyman: :smt118 :-D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a stock 5.3 in my nova that ran good for 3 years. 100% stock shortblock, 317 heads (mistake) and a bigger cam, and a turbo. 640whp through a off the shelf TCI streetfighter that blew through quite a bit. It was just a bunch of parts I had laying around thrown together.
Wasnt till i put it in a different car with a different turbo setup that it spun a rod bearing.

·
AMP Racing member
3,473 Posts
I believe Hot Rod Magazine pulled 1200 on an engine dyno with a 5.3 - turbo. 26psi

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
I believe Hot Rod Magazine pulled 1200 on an engine dyno with a 5.3 - turbo. 26psi
You obviously didn't read the whole article!!! They tore it appart after the testing to see if there was any damage to the short block, and the engine turned out to be a 4.8!!! They made 60+ pulls on the engine at 1k+ horsepower, and the short block looked fine at the end of the day!!! Un fucking believable!! :supz:

·
AMP Racing member
3,473 Posts
haha... Yeh I read to the end, but I couldn't remember if that was the article that had the 4.8 or if it was another article...

Regardless, these motors can take a lot of abuse...

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
... And the Hot Rod 4.8 motor was under no load... that shit would blow up on the track. Let's see some folks build that same combo and all cry when you need a huge converter to get it to come up on boost while you are at the track.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Arp head studs, ls9 gasket, ls6 cam, pushrods, valvesprings, and a good turbo you can make some good power.
Are you leaving the stock Gm crank, rods, rod bolts and pistons in them? Have heard many people making good power with 5.3's with turbos and spraying them. New to LS motors but thinking about side-lining the ol 415 and trying something new.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The only failure I have seen is rod bolts.

put a good set of bolts in... get the tune right and let us all know when it fails. It will be well north of a 4 digit #.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts