Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm ready to buy 6.0L lq9 for my altered. I'm looking at '05 escalade, vin N. Do all '05s have the better rods and pistons? Or should I being buying an '06 to be safe? Already got the L92 ported GM performance heads, can't wait to get this thing going!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know if the vin tells you if it's a gen IV? I'm wondering that if you get an engine out if a early '05 production one, if it could be a gen III?

·
Registered
692 Posts
It would still be gen III but I believe in mid year 04 they went to the better rods simultaneous with the short head bolt conversion. Lq4 and all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, gotcha on the gen III, is there a way I can tell externally, with out dropping the oil pan? What's up with the head bolts?

·
Registered
692 Posts
In mid 2004 they went to all equal length head bolts. Also a cam bearing change (if you've shopped cam bearings you'll see they ask areor post 04). As far as iI understand, all LS went to he good rods at this point too (5.3, 6.0, regardless of model).. Check casting date on passenger front of block above at the deck surface.

Gen 4 motors have knock sensors in the block skirts instead of valley cover, and the cam sensor is in the front cover instead of rear China wall near oil pressure sender.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do, so far all I have are the heads, GM ported L92's. It's not going to be anything radical, yet... just the stock 6.0L with a nice cam, the Holley tunnel ram for my Enderle bird catcher, mech injection. Then one day when the budget allows a nice old school 8-71 blower on it.. Then that's when it'll start to get fun..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts