Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have some time to stuff the lq4 in my Vega and need to order an external fuel pump and regulator. I currently have 80lb injectors, stock lq4 fuel rails and will be running E85. Fuel line is already -8an and I will be installing a return line as well.

The car will be used 90% for track duty, but I'd still like to be able to drive it to the gas station etc. I'll be running 58psi base pressure and I am aware that the ceiling of the 80lb injectors isn't incredibly high, but should get me over 650rwhp. What is a good external pump and regulator combo that would support 800hp(to give me a little room)?

Also... I haven't seen many photos of how or where aftermarket fuel pressure regulators are plumbed to the stock rails. My lq4 came from a van with a returnless setup. Are most boosted lq4 setups running a static fuel pressure or boost referenced?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Id suggest a Magnafuel 4303 pump, boost ref reg, and a couple of thier filters. 80's CAN get you to around 750-800 with high pressure and in that case you cant use a wimpy pump.
Completely agree with the above. I have an lq4 and s480 and my fuel system consists of the above, just with 120lb injs.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would I plumb the regulator to the stock truck rails that only have a fuel inlet? The 4303 sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a brand new Mallory boost referenced fuel pressure regulator that I bought to do the same thing, ended up buying a whole fuel system setup that came with a regulator too. I'll make you a good deal if you need it. I would just buy aftermarket rails for $100 so you can hook it up right. Shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yep just get a set of rails now... You can run the stock rails but its not ideal. Run the feed line into the side of the regulator and out the other side into the rails. The return out the bottom back to the tank. Basically returns fuel before the rails. Not ideal but does work. Some Power Tour type guys mount the regulator like that but sometimes back at the tank to avoid bypassing a ton a fuel through a hot fuel rail/engine compartment and heating the fuel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just have to get creative. I've made a set of aeromotive rails for a 5.0 mustang to fit the truck intake. Fuel rails are cheap enough anyway, just get a set and ditch the stock rail. Budget is one thing, but fuel system is the one area you cant cheap out on with a turbo build.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can also run the stock rails by connecting the fuel pump feed directly to the rail then un screwing the schrader valve at the front of the rail. It's a -4an that you then connect to the side of the regulator and return out the bottom. It pressurizes the rails first that way. I was going to run this setup but may go with these from summit. Cheap enough.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-240050/overview/

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there fittings available to get rid of the stock fuel rail crossover/feed and do a dual feed to the stock rails?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
653 Posts
80lb injectors will support some decent power with a lot of fuel pressure behind them, in my 3400lb fox we went 159mph with them on street tires, a solid hit on slicks and I bet it would've went 162mph with them. I ran right at 100psi in boost with no issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts