Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone lowered the rack in a mustang so the rack is even with K member?? I need to get the front of the motor (BBC) down and re-mounting the rack down would let me get it down another 1” and be able to set the angle of the motor better and some more hood clearance. Any big issues doing this? Only thing I could think of is the rack mounts would need to be reinforced since they would be 1” lower than the k member and subject to some abuse if the car came down from a wheelie too hard. Anything else??? It is currently has a UPR moly crossmember…Thanks!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
if you move your rack,you will change the relation of the tie rods to the spindals.that will create a bump steer problem. i think if the rack is inline with the lower control arm pivot bolt you will be good.you will have to address the height location at the spindal.to keep everything moving in the same arc.i,m no expert on the matter but i did sleep in a holiday in last night ha ha.maybe some one else can chime in on this.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have, took out the mustang rack and installed a pinto rack to the aftermarket K member. Had to fabricate mounts, build bump steer bushings and get a longer steering D shaft that was already there. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I'd highly suggest going to a Pinto style rack for the tighter mounting height. If you do drop the factory rack fortify the mounts. I was stuck with dropping a factory style rack and when it came down from a 400' wheelstand it tore the rack off.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys that what I needed...thought the only down side was ripping the rack off if it came down too hard. If I move it down it actually lines up bettter with the a arm. Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
When i do them i use 2 pieces 3/16 plate about 4" long drill my bolt holes in them & bend them to go under the bottom of the rack, when rack is bolted on it keeps the rack from digging into the track & getting ripped off......... hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
When i do them i use 2 pieces 3/16 plate about 4" long drill my bolt holes in them & bend them to go under the bottom of the rack, when rack is bolted on it keeps the rack from digging into the track & getting ripped off......... hope this helps.

Works ok when under power on small touch downs. I had them and a crash bar system but dropping something 3500 pounds from 8' in the air, nothing slows it down.:(

·
Registered
280 Posts
Has anyone lowered the rack in a mustang so the rack is even with K member?? I need to get the front of the motor (BBC) down and re-mounting the rack down would let me get it down another 1” and be able to set the angle of the motor better and some more hood clearance. Any big issues doing this? Only thing I could think of is the rack mounts would need to be reinforced since they would be 1” lower than the k member and subject to some abuse if the car came down from a wheelie too hard. Anything else??? It is currently has a UPR moly crossmember…Thanks!!!
I used Fox and SN95/later components to build a strut system in my Camaro. I used a Flaming River manual rack for a 79-93 and used spindles/brakes from 99-04 with AJE lower control arms and Strange Struts. I also laid the pinion of the rack down in order to gain all the room I possibly could for my headers (had to build them too for the custom steering). The bump steer kit I used is also from UPR and lined up nicely from my measurements with minimal spacing. I would consider taking a look at those later spindles because the steering arm is lower I believe. That may save you from "maxing out" the bump steer kit- which I don't like. There are some pics on the link in my screen signature. Good luck with the project!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts