Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car will be on the street more than the strip and I was thinking about using low tension rings. I have used standard tension up until now. I have a pan evac system and I plan on spraying a 250 shot and under.

What do you guys think about the low tension rings? This would be a 7000rpm engine at max. Would the low tension rings be worth any hp or should I just stick with the standard rings. I know if I can't control the oil I will have a time bomb on my hands.

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
Nitried stainless AP rings from total seal work awesome for Nitrous and most big power applications running Boost etc. Tough rings that do not eat the bores up.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My opinion is use regular rings with nitrous and street driving.
The horsepower gain will be very minimal vs a lot bigger chance of oil getting in, detonation occuring and burning up a piston.
I would only use low tension rings if I was running some type of heads up NA class and needed every extra horsepower I could get.
With nitrous a jet change will give more power than the low tension rings will ever do.

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
I do not look at low tension rings for HP like other fools do. I like the thinner low tension rings becuase they tolerate more bore flex and squirm and seem to hold seal longer. Especially the new stainless stuff. I have melted slugs taken the ring out of the pistons wiped it off stuffed it in a new slug put it back in the motor and run it with less then 5% leakdown.

True story.

Low tension rings in and of themselves offer nothing but a reduction in friction. Now a flexiable low tension ring that is very conformable and made out of a material like stainless or nitried stainless or nitrided steel will stand up to things like heat etc for far longer and far better then any stanard ductile or nodular or ductile moly faced ring will ever have a prayer of.

Just my 2 cents.

If you want to know what alot of OEM's now use. Nitried Steel 0.043 BTW for OEM v8's from pretty much everybody. They are also hard anodizing the rings lands to help with piston wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.