Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, im just getting started with a new build, im building a 468 for a 67 gmc c1500 I just bought.
talked to my machinist and what we are going to do(so far) is use a factory .010/.010 undersized factory cast crank, factory resized rods with factory bolts.
781 heads that will have a 2.19 valve package and hardened seats, on the exhaust he is going to see if it was flash hardened from the factory and if it looks good it will be factory size if not it will get a new hardened seat and an upsized valve.
using cast or hyper flat top pistons at zero or .005 below deck. .039 gasket and mill the heads for a compression of 8.5 to 9:1 so I can run this thing on 87 octane gas due to prices.
factory pan but will use the nicer melting shark tooth oil pump so its nice and quiet.

my question is about cams since I want to use this thing almost daily(even in the -40c temps w get up here.
I have head rollers are not always the best idea for BBC since they wear funny, but they have the small duration n and higher lift I like.
flat tappets seem to wear better( if they don't fail) on that valve train geometry) im just worried with a soft street lobe I won't be able to get the lift where I would think I want it.

engine goals are more than 1hp per cubic inch but 500 would be awesome. and big torque way down low.
all this and only have to spin it to 5500-6000TOPS.

let me know if any of you have an opinion on this please? I have lots of time to source a cam and parts.

I will say I wouldn't mind there roller if it will make the difference in low rpm power and also the ability to run a standard oil. like a 0w40 diesel oil in the winter.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Building anything flat tappet is going to be a big mistake today. Cam core quality and lifter quality is terrible and even good cam companies have have had their core and lifter suppliers try and send them imported junk because quality USA mfgrd stuff is almost nonexistent.

Put a hyd roller in it and be damn careful of what cam core you get there....
Will

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
If you can't find what you want in a hydraulic roller cam and lifters I got some good ones for 454 Vortec pick ups from Kirk Milner at Bullet. Not cheap, but he had cores and the good lifters.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of trying to find a zz502 cam, I thought competition products had the take-outs on cheap but couldn't find them on their web sight,.
I will be calling and seeing about a custom cam for this deal just to make sure it ticks every box I have,

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
104 Posts
Both the zz502 cam and 454/502 ho cam are on gen VI core. Both have mech fuel pump lobes. Gen VI cams works perfect in mark IV blocks just use the retainer plate and gen VI timing set. Included pictures of one I did last year mark IV block and hyd roller on gen VI core with Rollmaster timing set and another mark IV with zz502 cam/timing set.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both the zz502 cam and 454/502 ho cam are on gen VI core. Both have mech fuel pump lobes. Gen VI cams works perfect in mark IV blocks just use the retainer plate and gen VI timing set. Included pictures of one I did last year mark IV block and hyd roller on gen VI core with Rollmaster timing set and another mark IV with zz502 cam/timing set.
do those screw holes exist on all the blocks for the cam plate? or did you machine them in there?

also I think I might wait until heads are done and flowed to give me a better idea on cam

·
Registered
104 Posts
do those screw holes exist on all the blocks for the cam plate? or did you machine them in there?

also I think I might wait until heads are done and flowed to give me a better idea on cam
All mark IV 454 block I have seen have them tapped and ready to use. Some early 396 dont have the holes machined but the bosses are there so you can have them drilled and tapped by your machine shop.

ok I thought it wasnt a all out build more budget oriented? If it was me I would spend the money on forged pistons before custom cam.

I have used zz502 cams in several 454’s with 049, 241 oem heads and Edelbrock rpm alu heads and even a 496 with Brodix race rite heads, a cam was 169,95$ new and take outs was possible to find for 80-100$. Nice sound at idle great manners even the 496 had a nice tone. New today are 350-360$(Up 200$ last two years😱)so I would only use one if I can find a take out in new or close to new condition for 150$ or less.
Belive good cores are not easy to find, last time I bought a new hyd roller cam only source that had billet cores with cast gears in stock was comp.
Teague also has some decent grinds if not max hptheir stage 1 is a copy of crane 731 and they had the retro version in stock when I needed one a couple of months ago(422$ for a billet 8620 core with cast gear).

I have only used one 454 ho cam oem low mileage 77 454 with cast pistons changed the peanut heads for some #279 gen VI vortec heads to raise the comp ratio. Engine ended up in a 65 Impala, perfect cruiser.

The take outs competition products used to sell was marine gen VI cams they didnt have the fuel pump lobe 204/209 duration .480/.483 lift.

Lifters might also be hard to get, I finally managed to find a set of Gatermans to use with the Teauge cam. I have used Morel, comp, Gaterman. Gaterman has never given me any problems so prefer them. Comp made by shaver same thing no problems. Morel mixed results. Johnson is also good but more money so if budget I would go gaterman(howard 91161 are gaterman). I can pm you a source for gaterman gp 1002 lifters that I just found and they could get me a set in less than a week.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
For what you want, a hydr flat tappet will be perfect.
Cam# BBC, H71330-72334-110
228/232 @.050"
.561"/.567" Valve Lift
110 LSA
"High-Chrome" USA made casting

Lifter# J842H
.842" Hydr F.T. set, made in USA

Spring# JRC921
1.460" O.D. Single w/Damper Spring Set, V8
110# @ 1.850", 280# @ 1.300", C.B. 1.150"

·
Registered
848 Posts
In a bb dd pu the saving running 87 would be important to me , prem is a buck a gal more here . Elky do you have good propane availabilty ? Built some good running propane 454's in the 80's when there were still lots on road . Probably only 350hp but they ran really well and had enough power for dd pu and towing . Best combination on oem shortblock was 396 heads cut for hard seats with comp 268h and a impco 425 on a performer or action plus . Sounds like your cutting for seats and buying pistons anyways , get enough dome to get 10:1 cr with your open chamber . Don't run tank real low and need a battery blanket around the vaporizer below -35c till engine warms other than that no problem and I think they run better than a gasoline carb .

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In a bb dd pu the saving running 87 would be important to me , prem is a buck a gal more here . Elky do you have good propane availabilty ? Built some good running propane 454's in the 80's when there were still lots on road . Probably only 350hp but they ran really well and had enough power for dd pu and towing . Best combination on oem shortblock was 396 heads cut for hard seats with comp 268h and a impco 425 on a performer or action plus . Sounds like your cutting for seats and buying pistons anyways , get enough dome to get 10:1 cr with your open chamber . Don't run tank real low and need a battery blanket around the vaporizer below -35c till engine warms other than that no problem and I think they run better than a gasoline carb .
I have no idea where i would get propane or even get set up for it. I do have access to natural gas where some city trucks runn off of.
But even propane and nat gas has shot up in price

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For what you want, a hydr flat tappet will be perfect.
Cam# BBC, H71330-72334-110
228/232 @.050"
.561"/.567" Valve Lift
110 LSA
"High-Chrome" USA made casting

Lifter# J842H
.842" Hydr F.T. set, made in USA

Spring# JRC921
1.460" O.D. Single w/Damper Spring Set, V8
110# @ 1.850", 280# @ 1.300", C.B. 1.150"
The 228/232 seems high for a motor that i only want to spin to the high 5k's for rpm? I guess maybe flat tappet different than roller in that respect.
I was also thinking of a wider LSA to keep vacuum up because there seems to be a tonne of vacuum hookups and accessories on this thing. And i will be using a vacuum secondary carb and distributor advance.

I will also have to see what head flow is after valve and bowl work before actually picking a cam.
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The 228/232 seems high for a motor that i only want to spin to the high 5k's for rpm? I guess maybe flat tappet different than roller in that respect.
I was also thinking of a wider LSA to keep vacuum up because there seems to be a tonne of vacuum hookups and accessories on this thing. And i will be using a vacuum secondary carb and distributor advance.

I will also have to see what head flow is after valve and bowl work before actually picking a cam.
Thanks for the input
That cam will make peak HP at 5,400rpm, and pull 14+ inches of vacuum.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have no idea where i would get propane or even get set up for it. I do have access to natural gas where some city trucks runn off of.
But even propane and nat gas has shot up in price
Surprised because propane was very popular here in BC 35 yrs ago , thought prairies were same . Lots of stations put in tanks back then and can only think of a couple that have taken them out even though not many vehicles converting since fuel injection and computers , guess they still fill enough cylinders and rv's .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts