Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing to a straight cut low ratio gear set due to the splines shearing on the alu set (727) , the splines on the spare set i have (anular) look to be machined down where the planetery gears ride , are these worn? , the planetary gears are a mare to drop into the anular (tight) , once the gears are dropped all the way into the annular they turn freely , any thought? , don'twana take a chance if the box has to come out due to the worn gear set.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't post pics (don't know how) , the splines look as though they were cut like this when manu? , this is a 605" mopar , think i've found the weak link? , hard to explain, but , if these splines were the same thickness all the way down then the gears would be real hard to turn , have around 1/4" play in the gear set when fully engaged into the anular , when these gears are just engaged they are tight untill they drop allthe way in.

Thanks & sorry for the dumb explanation.

·
Registered
781 Posts
On 727 mopars the output shafts have 2 different angle cuts where the front planetary splines to it. 1 planet will fit both, but be loose on 1 and tight on the correct shaft and the other will only fit its coresponding mating spline...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm refering to the planetary gears that mate into the anular ring , the splines on the planetary fit the output shaft no problem , i realise the straight cut gears are noisy , what i don't know is how much 'play' should there be between planetary gears (4 off) & the anular (housing)

Thanks.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you are using a matched set of straight cut gears and ring gear/ annulas housing from the same manufacturer I do not believe that spec would be an issue since the gear set would be loaded upon staging the car, if you are mixing manufacturers than you may have an issue. The factory helical front planetaries and ring gear/ annulas housings were made with a slightly different helical angle over the years, so there is a least 2 that I have seen over the years..... Maybe I am misunderstanding your question though

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are using a matched set of straight cut gears and ring gear/ annulas housing from the same manufacturer I do not believe that spec would be an issue since the gear set would be loaded upon staging the car
This is what i wanted to know , thanks , not too bothered regards noise but what i am concerned with is breakage , which is why i posted regards 'play' in the gear set.:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts