Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,824 Posts
I cracked a 302 from the main to the cam in 2 places,oil press was fine.
Is this more of a Ford problem? That may be why I haven't heard it. I'm not up on Ford stuff and don't cruise the Ford forums often. Not that I'm biased against Ford. Not at all. I just don't know much about them.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Randy, I spun a rod bearing in my first cleveland, wouldn't have known by sound afterwards. It did something a little funny right when I shifted so when I came to a stop I shut it off and checked oil etc. When I started it back up it squealed on the starter then fired and sounded fine, never lost oil pressure, even drove it home maybe 6 miles, nicely, as I knew something happened. Drained oil and see brass/copper tiny pieces, hmmm.
Oh, I agree weird things happen. Did a 0.060 over 283 for my buddy, and purchased a set of pistons old enough to drink beer off the internet to save him a few bucks. Ran 2 years here locally. One night he came back in, and said the engine was missing. Sure was. Checked it out the next day. Checked all ignition parts, checked valves, and one rocker was broken. Thought that was it. Put on a new rocker, set the gap, cranked it up, still missing. Checked the plug, looked fine. Did a leak down, 100% leakage. Hmmmmm. Pulled the head, and this is no lie, the piston was halfway up, sideways. The pin had pulled out of the piston, wrapped the rod up double, but still sliding up and down the cylinder, without making any noise, still fully attached to the crank, no oil pressure loss, bearing looked like knew. Never cracked the block, but did hurt it. I laughed and said I ain’t never seen this before. Weird things happen. Surely, at some time during the run, it made some sort of noise. He said no. Who knows.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts