Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother in law passed on October.

She has 98 Crown vic, cloth interior with under 40k miles.

I am suggesting the estate ask 5-6k.

Is that reasonable?

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
It might be in CT but it sounds high to me. In Washington State they are worth very little due to a bajillion of government crown Vic's that are available.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
I don't know why but those cars are popular, very popular. I'd go so far as say hot. Even the cops still use them. I don't think your number is off. I even see kids looking to buy them.

But check the frame.

They're known to rot.

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,328 Posts
Put 6k on it and let a Blue Hair talk you down a few hundred on it.

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
40,000 miles?
Most are high mileage but some are not. And the fact that they are everywhere for cheap (many with police pursuit packages) means they pull the resale value of ALL of them down, like it or not.

Very popular ghetto cars, cause they are cheap!

Now a state that doesn't use them as government vehicles might be different, if those states exist.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
I don't know why but those cars are popular, very popular. I'd go so far as say hot. Even the cops still use them. I don't think your number is off. I even see kids looking to buy them.

But check the frame.

They're known to rot.
THey ride nice have room for people and a trunk you can put a lot of shit in.

·
Registered
38,409 Posts
40,000 miles?

I realize it's a Ford and a pretty tough one at that; 40,000 miles on a 21 year old vehicle is nice but it doesn't make an otherwise $1000 car worth $6000. It's not a Mustang GT or a crewcab 4X4 Powerstroke, after all. Sounds like a little-old-lady car that's only been driven to the store, church, etc. and back home, never getting the chance to fully warm the engine and the oil - and you know what that often leads to. I'd a lot rather have one with 100,000 miles that's been driven more than 3 miles at a time.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes 40,000 miles, one owner. Garaged it's entire life.

Has new tires, new fuel pump within the last 3 years.

It may be 35k miles, I haven't looked in a year.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realize it's a Ford and a pretty tough one at that; 40,000 miles on a 21 year old vehicle is nice but it doesn't make an otherwise $1000 car worth $6000. It's not a Mustang GT or a crewcab 4X4 Powerstroke, after all. Sounds like a little-old-lady car that's only been driven to the store, church, etc. and back home, never getting the chance to fully warm the engine and the oil - and you know what that often leads to. I'd a lot rather have one with 100,000 miles that's been driven more than 3 miles at a time.

No. Several of the kids live out of state and when the visit they use it as it should be. My M-i-L had not driven in over 20 years.

·
Registered
38,409 Posts
They sell for 3999.00 here with 150-187k+ on them.

Only off a note dealer's lot, whose clientele couldn't care less about the final price. No individual in their right mind would pay another individual $4000 for a 21 year old, 150K+ Crown Vic; that'll buy a 2010 model around here with less miles. Buy here/pay here folks just want something that can reasonably be expected to start in the morning and weekly/monthly payments that won't break their budget. Dealers could price them at 10 grand and it wouldn't matter.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
28,108 Posts

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
I had a CV and it is GREAT CAR..... However your asking price is high for a $3500-$4000 car.
:smt115 Check the Cross member, Frame, Bottom fender for rust..... These CVs have the same problem areas of rust. Factory Seat cushion bottom foam may be hard to find.

BTW! Hopefully you will get your asking price.

·
Registered
38,409 Posts
No. Several of the kids live out of state and when the visit they use it as it should be. My M-i-L had not driven in over 20 years.

Well, maybe it's a good one and I hope you get what you feel its worth. I'll never say 'no way' just because I don't think there's a way. Good luck with it.

·
Banned
11,534 Posts
Only off a note dealer's lot, whose clientele couldn't care less about the final price. No individual in their right mind would pay another individual $4000 for a 21 year old, 150K+ Crown Vic; that'll buy a 2010 model around here with less miles. Buy here/pay here folks just want something that can reasonably be expected to start in the morning and weekly/monthly payments that won't break their budget. Dealers could price them at 10 grand and it wouldn't matter.
YOUR car market is not here.
here they are 3-4k cars all day every day. and not just the bad credit,pay here lots either.
s-10's with 180k are 5k all day every day.
it is a low miles garaged full sized car. 5k easy here. many a snowbird will buy it, as the snowbird travel car. to go south for the winter.
What might be a 1500.oo car where you're at. isn't what you'll get in n.e.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Has the intake update been done?
If I recall, the thermostat base on the early years of the 4.6 had issues that would lead to cracking the plastic...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts