Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have done a bunch of reading but, i am not finding what i am looking for. i want to turbocharge a 5.3. i have a shit load of turbos left over from my diesel days. lots of piping, flanges and other stuff. my main questions is, what to do for tuning and fuel? im trying to keep this on the cheap. how much injector for something around 700 rwhp?
i have never put a turbo on a gas rig but i have built more than a few compound set ups on diesels. i have A welder, saws, mills and a lathe. i am just finding myself ignorent of what i need to do on this one.
can yall enlighten me?

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I have done a budget turbo LS. If you have the skill building a megasquirt is the cheapest management. For fuel injectors run 60 lb per hour seimens deka for gas or 80s for e85. My total engine and fuel cost was for the swap with china turbo stuff was around $5000.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was planning on using a 2005 suburban motor/tranny/t case and frame under a 72 Chevy pick up body. And I was hoping to use the factory computer/wiring to keep it all 2005. Am I dreaming wanting to use it? Or is that just more than the factory ecm can handle.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
+1 for megasquirt. look up denmah on the LS forums or theturboforums.com has a ton of write ups and videos on how to put a MS on an LS motor
X2 for Denmah, Matt knows his stuff with the LS platform and Megasquirt.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
+1 for megasquirt. look up denmah on the LS forums or theturboforums.com has a ton of write ups and videos on how to put a MS on an LS motor
+11111 That guy has done a LOT with very little!!!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I'm all for the MS unit, I have 2 of them on my cars. However... If you aren't doing the wiring yourself and need a plug and play harness, the Holley costs about the same, is more user friendly, and allows the use of low-z injectors. Making it a better choice for someone starting out IMO.

If you want to use the factory ECM/harness, HPtuners is the easiest/cheapest route. (about $650) The software is much less user friendly and will require quite a bit of reading to grasp. The factory ECU is more than capable. It just processes a ton of information from many tables that are all tied together. Making tuning more of a chore for someone not familiar with it.

Holley and MS units are pretty self explanatory.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm really wanting to use all the factory harness, since the 4l60 will be included in the swap. And the abs/air ride also. So it looks like I have a lot of reading to do on learning the hp set up.
Can the factory computer run the Siemens injectors or do I need different ones for that?

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Micro squirt 2 with plug and play harness can be done for $750 or $400 if you put your own connectors on it..toss in some 80lb dekas for $325 an you hqve injectors an ecu now that will come with a base 5.3 denmah gt45 5.3 turbo i believe...my lq9 build is a budget cheap deal..just im doing the build a using a ls1 now to save weight an it will have truck intake,rails/reg,aem 380 pump,ls9 cam,80lb dekas,ms2,gt45 69mm..this combo with a 5.3 has been 5.90s at 3k by a member here an will do a solid 600rwhp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts