Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Performabuilt lvl2 4l60e I've had for yrs and it's been good to me. I just recently rebuilt my LT1 engine with a small cam and heads to a 383. It used to brake stall about 2800 and flash nicely at 3000. Now I'm lucky to hit 2100 before the wheels spin and flashing it has almost no stall at all.

This has me baffled since usually more tq = more stall. I'm about 120hp/tq more than before.

Also, who's a good place to talk to/send it to for a restall? It's a 9 1/2" built for nitrous.

:smt102

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really don't think neither. The trans worked perfectly when I tore the engine down. 2 years later, got the motor together and definately making alot more hp/tq.

·
Super Moderator
19,592 Posts
You may be making more power during the rpm range but maybe you missed the key point I was trying to make. "at the same given rpm". Camshafts , carburetors , intakes etc play a huge role in where tq is made. Unless the day you shut the car off 2 years ago the trans/converter broke then that makes the most sense to me.

Hutch

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, Does it need to be restalled or a whole TC made? On the old motor it was barely making 180/250 @2800 and 300/310 @ 6000. Now its making @ 250/390 @ 2800 and 420/428 @ 6500. All rwhp/tq.

·
Super Moderator
19,592 Posts
Are these engine dyno numbers of chassis dyno numbers? Im sure the converter you have can be adjusted by the manufacturer to better suit your application.

Hutch

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hutch, these #'s are at the wheels. The old setup was just a stock LT1 with the LT4 hotcam. Nothing special. Now it's a 383 with alot of work done to it and a mild cam designed for tq.
The trans/TC was purchased together from Performabuilt. So I called Frank and they no longer build converters in house and their builders are states away.
So I guess I'm gonna have to track down a reputible builder or bite the bullet and pay out @ $1200 for another one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts