Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Looking to mix fuels for the track. Pump gas and taking recommendations

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Pontiac Dude 
#1 ·
I currently have my car running on 93 octane. It’s a blow through turbo deal non intercooled. Looking to add a few gallons of something for protection down the track. There are so many fuels out there that I don’t know what I can get away with. I was considering just switching car over to e85 but It’s not available a lot around here and the car sees a good amount of street use.

How do I go about choosing which fuel to use? It’s a fuel injected motor.

Thanks guys.

#8 ·
Oh man I stopped checking this thread thinking it was a goner. Haha. So I am mainly just looking for added protection against detonation Incase intake air temps get crazy. Honestly, for the little bit I run, I don’t mind spending some money on fuel for the piece of mind that I will not grenade my motor.

Since posting this I ordered a Holley efi port injection set up, and plan to switch to full time e85 and adding a second meth nozzle. Once I get my new intake manifold and see what kind of room I have to work with I may end up going intercooled too depending on how far off my existing stuff is to fitting.

I wasn’t looking to add fuel for more power. So didnt plan on changing the tuning at all. My concern was I know certain fuels require a lot more quantity to run correctly. So I didn’t want to add a fuel to help against detonation and end up leaning it out.

I will look into octane boosters. To be honest I didn’t expect them to be recommended by anyone, didn’t know if they were snake oil or could add protection.

#10 ·
Toluene doesn't attack most rubbers and plastic parts and it doesn't make them soften or swell either (at least not up to 20% levels,which is basically C16) -in fact all pump gas has Toluene in it. Toluene is a bit more than just an octane booster, it also has more BTU's per pound of fuel than most other additives-more BTU's equals more power. With their huge budgets that meant they could have used any chemical - F1 and Group B cars used it- what does that tell you?

#17 ·
Yeah, a US gallon of C12 or C16 is around £20 at the track, an equivalent 20% Toluene mix is about £7 a UK gallon.
You can lean the AFR a bit because of the increased btu content of Toluene (we use the usual 11.5 ish), it also likes a fair bit of heat to burn cleanly and a bit more timing advance- it is very good in non intercooled combos. F1 back in the '80's used to duct hot air from the exhaust to the fuel tanks to warm the fuel to help it vapourise more easily.
We've not noticed any oil contamination using 20-50 Valvo VR1, (I don't know what you set your ring gaps to), and I've used it in high compression n/a, blown, turbo and 2 st/4st dirt bike combos over the past 20 years or so.
ps, a mixed batch of gas/Toluene doesn't like to sit for weeks in a vented fuel tank, we mix a fresh batch for each meeting and use the old in our lawnmowers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.