Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyones input on this?

I've caught the itch bad for 2 wheel fun and wondering what some of ya'll think as far as which route to go.

I have the odd feeling if I start on a smaller bike I'll outgrow it too fast and regret starting small. I've rode friends bikes in the past and have a respect for power by all means.

Ideally I want to get into something to run at local dragstrips for when I don't want to take the car out. I'll ride plenty on the street as well, almost daily any nice day that allows.

Thoughts against going with a nice GSXR1000 with a small stretch or Hayabusa?

The Nova I have runs near 9's as a street car, so quick is nothing new.

This will be my first bike I will own and have rode dirtbikes, 4 wheelrs, jet skis, and driven fast hot rods for years now. I understand the power potential of the bigger bikes, and don't feel I'll have a problem respecting the power while I learn.

Any input appreciated

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
ya know, its a tough call. I've had friends that have essentially gone from street bikes strait to nitro harleys. Not something I'd recommend, but its a matter of having the right amount of common sense.

I had several discussions with one of those friends. It took him about half a season to get comfortable on his bike, with a lot of 8-9 second passes before he was running 6's. I was one who advised against it. When you ask him today, he admits it wasn't the smart way to go about it, but he's still happy with what he did. I did it the old fashioned way; street bike to 10 second sportster, to pro stock harley, to carb nitro to injected nitro and I'm certainly happy for the experience at each level.

My guess is that if folks can do it to that extreme..from street bikes to injected nitro, going from where you are to a stretched metric bike is certainly doable.
I think most folks will tell you that doing it with wheelie bars is easier than having that one extra issue (wheelies) to deal with. I know on my bike, I am more than thankful that all I need to do is whack the throttle and not worry about feathering the clutch or throttle or ending up on my back.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
If you can control yourself.....goas big and new as you can afford. Upgrading is expensive, and there is a sea of used/little bikes. Otherwise, buy a well used little bike, cheap, then go big when you're sure it's for you.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you can control yourself.....goas big and new as you can afford. Upgrading is expensive, and there is a sea of used/little bikes. Otherwise, buy a well used little bike, cheap, then go big when you're sure it's for you.
Well said, if you have good self control go as big as you can from the start. They will only go as fast as you want it too. Personally im a yamaha fan and like the R6s and R1s

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I rode a 600 for awhile before selling it to build another car. When I decide to buy another, it will be a stretched 'Busa. Persomally, I just think they ride better than the smaller bikes, not to mention the killer power!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I agree with the self control thing. I call it knowing your skill before you run out of talent LOL. I wanted a bike so I rode several gixxers and a fast turbo bandit. Not wanting to buy several bikes. I bought a 02 busa with basic bolt on mods. It is a heavy bike with plenty of power to grow with. I think it is a easier bike to ride than a gixxer.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The GSXR won't be as fun to ride since it doesn't have the low end of a Busa. It will be better in the corners though.. Last time I told a guy to start small he got pissed because he outgrew the small bike so fast. I would get the Busa and ride smart until you can use all the power.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Newer BUSA (08+). They have that whole power button deal. Basically 3 power levels A, B, and C. Put it on c and it's like riding a small bore bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts