Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to buy a used motor, it cosist of a a4block, billet crank, grp rods, 15to1pistons, trickflow heads, custom nitrous cam with a huge lift, how many passes can this rotating assy. take before there no good, the owner dont know how many passes are on the parts but the bearings and rings are fresh. this is going to be my first big h.p. motor im thinkin of buying used because i dont have 10k+ to buy new and need to know what to look for. thanks for you opionions,

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
im looking to buy a used motor, it cosist of a a4block, billet crank, grp rods, 15to1pistons, trickflow heads, custom nitrous cam with a huge lift, how many passes can this rotating assy. take before there no good, the owner dont know how many passes are on the parts but the bearings and rings are fresh. this is going to be my first big h.p. motor im thinkin of buying used because i dont have 10k+ to buy new and need to know what to look for. thanks for you opionions,
Depending on the application (amount of boost, nitrous or N/A) the GRP rods are what you need to worry about. I run GRP in my engine and they recomend a maximum of 150 to 175 passes. My 396sbc engine makes 650hp N/A and I spray 150hp everypass and 300 every now and then. Hope this helps, but I would be very wary of an engine that has an unknown number of passes on Aluminum rods!

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
15-1 nitrous combo... aluminum rods...passes unknown. look elsewhere unless your gonna have someone who knows their shit look at it APART. the rods are the biggest unknown. everything else can be pretty much checked out.

·
598 Coming Soon
19,628 Posts
I don't know, think about it, That's the heart of your car. I say save your $$$ a little bit longer & be happy with the end results instead of taking a chance

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
BTW a comparable engine built with good parts is a little more than 10k, but a used engine that comes apart after a couple of passes will prolley cost 10k to fix.

·
Registered
56,906 Posts
Depending on how much he wants for it, it could work out for you. Replace the rods and if the pistons aren't to over worked it could last you for a while until you can afford your killer motor. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,399 Posts
How much? what type of engie, how many cubic inches, stock block. Could be an ok deal if it's cheap enough, and your budget allows a full tear down and possibly new rods....

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
do u have to run a samll 8.2 deck motor? if not build or buy i 9.5 deck and get 400 plus cubes. if your gonna run Nitrous u will need the bigger inches. other wise if the price is right buy the motor and just order new rods for it if you use the same pat number you dont even need to balance it just take out old and put in new

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
My advise: Don't. But if you do, get him to disassemble it and have every critical part checked. If he won't cooperate, walk.
A friend of mine who has been building race cars professionally for forty years just got took on a used crank. Don't think that
you can't be fooled. The best of us are. Be careful.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the replies fellas, i dont have to run a 8.2 deck, but i already have a alot of extra parts for a 8.2deck, the motor im looking at has been 5.6x at 126mph the price tag is 6k but im givin a partial trade for a 4x4 atv+cash, it is a a4 block aswell.

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,743 Posts
If the number of passes is unknown, replace the rods before you ever even crank it. Now, if its cheap enough that you can pay for a freshening with new rods and come out to the good then you should buy it. There's nothing wrong with buying a used motor with aluminum rods if it either:

a) has an accurate log book and the runs are low
b) is cheap enough to offset the cost of freshening and new rods

The real question should be whether or not it actually needs aluminum rods and whether or not you should swap back to steel. if you're only talking about a mid 5 second motor, I would think a nice set of Oliver or Cunningham steel rods would work just fine and be more trustworthy.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
ive gotten ok used parts and ive gotten screwed on alot. theres always a reason its for sale and the reason they give isnt always true.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
A alum. rodded engine unless I knew the history of the engine or the person that owned it. I'd say no unless its cheap enough you can afford to buy a new set of rods and freshen it anyway. I think I'd build a short blk. within my budget and know what I have.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ive seen guys with brand new motors destroy them first couple passes, check the guy out and i wouldnt buy it if the guy is not in driving distance, that way u put a face with a motor and that tells u alot. A new motor with a start up and one pass is now a old motor! I always recommend buying new but there are some great deals with good people, u got to figure them out for urself! good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts