Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway, what is a good one to get and what price do you think it will cost new and used? I am always told S&W or Glock and get a heavier one to reduce recoil. I dont want a sub-compact by the way. The reasons i want to get one is maybe for some time at a shooting range, possible last resort for protection (animal/intruder) and just because ive wanted to get one.

My question may be vague but im new to hand guns so im looking for help.

·
Super Rod 2413
1,347 Posts
I say get a a Glock. Either company Glock or S&W you get a good gun but Glock just fits me better. There lighter and just look better to me.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so ill have to check them out and see how they fit.

How good of a pistol is the S&W M&P 40 compared to the xd40?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Go to a shooting range and rent the guns that are listed. Shoot them, get the one that fits and feels the best to you. Do some shooting drills and mag changes at combat speed. What fits me may not be you and your one that counts. Testing now is better then regretting a costly mistake later....buying the wrong gun.

·
Senior Frog
10,315 Posts
Go to a shooting range and rent the guns that are listed. Shoot them, get the one that fits and feels the best to you. Do some shooting drills and mag changes at combat speed. What fits me may not be you and your one that counts. Testing now is better then regretting a costly mistake later....buying the wrong gun.
x2.....I tested 10 guns before settling on an SW MP40
XD and Glock were great too - u cant go wrong with any
of the above mentioned

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I like my Springfield 40 and I like my glock. The Springfield has a few features that I like better then the glock. It has 2 saftys and it also has a little indicator on the side that tells you if it's racked or not. That little indicator is felt aswell as seen.

·
Under Construction
4,026 Posts
Glock 23 here

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have a XDm .40 and I love it. I'm going to add a M&P 9mm to the lineup soon. Take a close look at accessories though. For instance, Crimson Trace has a awesome laser grip for the M&P that they do not offer for the XDm. You can get a laser grip for the standard XD though, but the fit appears to be much nicer for the M&P's.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
M&P HERE. ALL OF THESE RECOMMENDATIONS ARE GOOD ONES. YOU WILL HAVE TO SEE HOW EACH ONE FITS IN YOUR HAND BEST AND FEELS RIGHT. YOU WON'T GO WRONG WITH M&P, XD, GLOCK, OR SIG. THE SIG IS DOUBLE/SINGLE AND THE REST ARE STRIKER FIRE.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I just went through this a year ago. I finally decided I wanted a XDM .40, and went to the gun shop with cash in hand. After talking to the guys and asking a few questions, I had three pistols in front of me; XDM .40, M&P .40, and Taurus 24/7 .40. I walked out with the Taurus and a box of ammo, and $200 still in my pocket. I don't have huge hands, so the other guns felt chunky at the grip. The Taurus felt just right, and shoots just as good as any other polymer gun I've shot!

·
Registered
700 Posts
It really depends on what you want to do with the gun. I look at them like tools that do certain jobs better. I think the .40 is a good caliber so stay with that. The steel guns are better for target shooting. Older guns like the S&W 4006 or even a 1911 style converted to .40 wouold be good for the range and home defense. The problem is the features like the longer barrel and heavy weight for absorbing the load make the gun heavy. For a carry gun I think the polymer guns like the Glock are a better choice.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts