Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sold my motor and am currently looking to build a new one. I thought I would post up here and get ideas. I will be using AFR 227 heads and thats all I know for sure right now. I have both a 400 and 350 blocks but I have heard nothing good about running a factory 400 block pretty hard. I'm not wanting to do a 383 due to machine work and messing with a small base cam. So with that in mind any ideas ??? money is not endless but I like to spend it where it counts. I know I should be looking to the aftermarket for a block but that seems to get into raised cam's and spread pan rails and I'm not interested in all that mess. Looking to run high 9's on 250 shot of spray. race only motor

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Justin said:
I have sold my motor and am currently looking to build a new one. I thought I would post up here and get ideas. I will be using AFR 227 heads and thats all I know for sure right now. I have both a 400 and 350 blocks but I have heard nothing good about running a factory 400 block pretty hard. I'm not wanting to do a 383 due to machine work and messing with a small base cam. So with that in mind any ideas ??? money is not endless but I like to spend it where it counts. I know I should be looking to the aftermarket for a block but that seems to get into raised cam's and spread pan rails and I'm not interested in all that mess. Looking to run high 9's on 250 shot of spray. race only motor
Why not just save yourself all the pain and suffering, and put a bigblock together :-D

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Justin, the only blocks that are raised cam and spread rail, are the Iron Eagle Dart block, and the Rocket GM Block.... the bowtie blocks, and the Dart Little M blocks are all standard dimensions....

I would look for a Dart Little M 'Sportsman' block. I think you could find one for around 1200 bucks if you look hard... maybe even cheaper.

Then if you don't want to mess around with small base circle you might consider something around 380 inch engine with 3.5 inch stroke crank something of that nature.... the Smallbase circle really isn't a big deal though... pretty common stuff. You'd be far ahead if you could be a 400+ inch engine.

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Chris is right.. Personally I like the raise cam stuff as it allows for future growth in CID if needed.

Rick he's looking for something fast.. :roll:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick, NO BIG BLOCKS just small blocks that think they are big.

Thanks for the input Chris. As you can tell I'm a bit uninformed on the aftermarket blocks. I have looked on racingjunk and others and never found a used block. Do you have any other sources? Another thought is to put my heads on the 427 short block offered by Bill Mitchel, but I like to build my own and have not heard anythig at all about the "hardcore" crate motors

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Well.... you'd be ahead if you had someone else do the short block, or yourself in my opinion. I like the Dart block better than the World block too.

I'm sure the Hardcore crate engines have some good parts in them, but I prefer to stay away from anything that is in a production mode.... if you did get a crate short block from anyone I'd like to see you tear it down completely and measure EVERYTHING.... prior to running it.

Anyhow, keep us posted on your decisions.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
If your looking for a really nice "crate style" shortblock, check out the people at Ohio Crankshaft they put together a really nice shortblock with all quality parts in it for prices much better than most suppliers. They have some really smoking deals in the specials and they are decent people to work with.

My humble opinion
tom cowle

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Monty :smt014 Rick

Thanks Tom and Chris for the input. I plan to look into all options and will look at Ohio Crankshafts as well. I have heard some good things about what they offer.

·
Clown
3,779 Posts
hey justin

are you building this motor for the tractor to speed up the bean picking process :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

could not help myself

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:smt013 no more damn farming. I turned into one of those Ann Arbor yuppies this year with my new Townhouse APT :-D By the way Orlando was great. Radial tire and heavy were the best classes. I don't know what all the fuss with 10.5 is but it was no where near exciting as radial tire class

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Matt, get out in the shop and finish your car!! I won't be racing next year so I need some reason to tell the old lady that I need to be at the track. Looks like another year of excuses for my buddy Jerrod, 4 years 2 motors and not at the track yet.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know funny thing about that friend of mine. His car is never running and its a Yellow Camaro. Hmmm must be something to that :-D

·
Clown
3,779 Posts
lets see that makes

yellow olds not running
monty yellow camaro not running
your buddie yellow camaro not running

PURPLE CARS ROCK :supz:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We are going to White over the winter, at least that way it wont show all the dust from sitting in a corn crib :-D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts