Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm throwing around the idea of building a 5.4L 4v with a turbo basically stock motor with whatevers recommended turbo. How much power can I make safely and any recommended parts?

·
Registered
616 Posts
It probably comes down to the rod strength in the motor. They are powdered metal. There are a lot of people making around 450 at the wheels in mod motor mustangs with a safe street tune. You can easily make that kind of power with something like a garrett 60-1 or a turbonetics 62-64mm.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first thanks for your reply and second if I put good rods and pistons in it how would that change things what would become the next weak link. I'm new to mod motors and turbos. Ive only dealt with bbf's

·
Registered
543 Posts
first thanks for your reply and second if I put good rods and pistons in it how would that change things what would become the next weak link. I'm new to mod motors and turbos. Ive only dealt with bbf's
which block you ganna use? But really the rods and the pistons are the weak links. What crank you ganna use?

·
Registered
269 Posts
How much power do you want to make? The forged steel cranks will support well over 1,000. With good rods,pistons,head&main studs you'll have a bottom end capable of 1,000 horsepower.

·
Registered
616 Posts
There's really no limit to what you CAN do with those engines. A built bottom end with any decent turbo around 60-70mm will support 500rwhp on 93 octane pump gas. Sullivan makes an intake manifold if you want to put it in a car. The 4 cam Navi heads are pretty good stock, but could benefit from springs and cams. The best thing to do is come up with a budget and work towards your goal in that budget.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im looking to do this cheap but not so cheap as to have a pile of junk. I would like to make around 800 horse and be reliable. I dont mind running good fuel at the track to run more boost. I'm new to this so any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
543 Posts
i would like to do a blowthrough carb deal for budget reasons and I'm more familiar with carbs.
navi block,navi heads a set of good springs stock cams,good rods and pistons, sullivan intake. put a cab on it and get an msd mod6 or somthin like that. that engine combo will handle plenty more than 800hp

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats what I want to hear, what turbo stuff should I be looking for I wanna do a single turbo if I can with my power goals

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
both mostly strip with a street capabilities looking to do this on a 6k budget already have trans but needs rebuilt,bellhousing,converter. i have all carb stuff also.

·
Registered
291 Posts
a 6k budget for your engine upgrades and the turbo setup? you better find some great deals.. and possibly know how or have a friend that is very familiar with modular motors and timing their cams. these are not your normal sbf. you might wanna re-estimate your budget or goals. only reason im saying this is 97tntcobra and myself are both building 4v turbo cars and can tell you from experience, 6k probably ain't gonna cut it.. but now im off my soapbox: look for a set of forged manley rods, diamond or je pistons coating would be nice, put arp 2000 rod bolts and arp mains and head studs, cams are expensive but the cheapest bang for your buck are the gt supercar cams but the terminator, gt500, and i think the 97 cobra cams are good too. the BW s480 or s380 would be good choices for a budget minded turbo that makes good power. i've heard the there are some ebay gates and BOV's people are using that are cheap but dont have experience with them. if u want a carb your gonna need the mod6 and a sullivan intake. good luck and if we can help any let us know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts