Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 39 year old Kenmore nuke just bit the dust. Been looking, on the net, for reliabilty of microwaves. Seems, Panasonic and Sharp have the best reviews. Most have the push to open feature. Read that this is one thing that breaks most often.

Any opinions on brands and the luck you've had with your nuke?

I realize that most will only last 3-5 years. I don't expect to have anything last 39 years, today. And I'm sure, none are made in the USA.
Thanks

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
I have an Emerson that is 10-11 years old and has never given me any problems. Pretty powerful, too- I generally have to cut the recommended cooking times otherwise it overcooks stuff.

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
Many microwaves (not all) are made by Samsung; you may notice that even though the graphics and feature names are different when looking at a couple of different brands/models, the buttons are in the same order and places.

Our last four: 1991-96: Sharp countertop; still working at my in-laws house as of today.
1996-2006: Whirlpool microwave hood; still working at my old house as of today.
2006-2010: Maytag (Samsung) microwave hood: repaired twice; magnetron died; threw in alley for junk collectors (4 out of 6 Maytag appliances bought at same time have died within 4 yrs. :(
2010- : Whirlpool (Samsung) microwave hood; works great. Knock on wood...

·
Dina Parise Racing
795 Posts
I like the microwave/convection ....

Brands vary of course.....

Best part about it, is you can use it as an oven as well. You can put tins in it etc....Yey still use it as a microwave...

More expensive, but worth it!

And yes, this is the 'chick' half of Parise Racing! LOL!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
take the cover off, remove the old fuse.... replace with $6 fuse from lowes of the same amperage rating.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I ended-up with a new Panasonic 2.2 c i microwave. I took the old one, to my neighbor, who is a retired tv/small appliance repair shop owner. He was like a kid in a candy store.
He took it apart, piece by piece and put all of the components on his test bench. I had almost forgotten how to use an oscilloscope. There was a complete schematic, for diagnostics, inside the cover. Every thing checked out within spec. I was amazed at how even the solders were pristine. Finally found the problem, when he took the magnetron apart. The braided insulator, under the magnet, had failed from heat and age, which caused the magnet to crack in half.
The next day he called me over and the old shit had fashioned a new insulator and put in a different magnet, that he had in his old parts crap. The thing works perfect. Told him he could keep it but he said no. Now, I'm back to using my 39 year old Kenmore and gave the new one to my step-son.
As for the fuse. It was the original and still had continuity.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
wow!!
they don't build things like that no more...39 yrs. and still kicking!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts