Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Depends who you ask.
I love riding, it's a good way to clear my head and get refocused.

But if I can't afford my bikes and what it costs to keep them something needs to change.

My 92 year old dad said: "I had everything needed to live a good, satisfying life. Things I thought I wanted are insignificant to those"

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The bike was either a bad purchase, bad luck, or both. Throwing good money after bad is just going to leave them with empty pockets.

I would sell it as is and write it off. Then they have to decide what they value more, owning a Harley or riding a motorcycle. If they just want to ride, buy Japanese. If they want to ride a Harley, you gotta pay to play.

Either way, the dyna isn't worth fixing, especially if the work now getting outsourced.
This. I have nothing against HD but the facts are the facts. If they want the HD lifestyle they have to pay for it and it ain't the most reliable. If they like to ride then pick up a used jap bike and ride. 10,000 miles a year two up is a lot of riding.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
4k is probably pretty close. Motorcycle engine parts are not priced like car parts. My 636 is becoming a 672. Cams are 1,200 for factory race or 1,600 for custom grind, to bore & coat with a piston kit is 1,500. That's 1,700 to 2,100 before any head work or gaskets. Also if the engine needs rebuilt more than likely clutch is just as bad, figure another 3 to 5. Aftermarket clutch for mine is 200, that's friction material & springs. Price goes way up if you need new steel plates and really up if you need a new basket. Find a good used motor and install it. Plenty of moto junkyards around plus Ebay.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You have it all wrong, they don't make enough power to hurt themselves. Doesn't mean they're reliable.

I didn't see it mentioned, but my bet is on cam bearing.
I believe the cam bearing was "grooved" pretty good as well as the oil pump was chewed up sending fragments throughout.

I am not a Harley guy, just trying to help them out and the price sounded unrealistic to me from my limited knowledge. FWIW they bought a 17,000 mile used motor with a brand new Carb and aftermarket cams for $1,700... only time will tell if its the right decision.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts