Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a Moroso 20190 with their matching pickup, set correctly.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/20190/10002/-1

Engine uses older M55 with a stock spring, crank scraper, rear baffle, Milodon diamond stripper windage tray. Even with the pan full (had been running 1 qt low) it loses pressure, falling to zero shortly after braking after the finish line. (drag racing) I know the oil is all rushing to the front of the sump, and with the pickup being within an inch of the rear, that there is the problem. Oil pressure is perfect when stationary or accelerating.

I suppose I could weld a baffle on the bottom of the pan, but how high does one put the baffle before it interferes with getting the oil back to the pickup?

I could also plumb in an accusump, but there isn't a bunch of room to mount it, and I just spent a bunch of time last winter REMOVING weight from the front of the car, counter productive.

I would also like to get away from having to remove the driver's side header in order to replace the oil filter. This however is the least of my issues.

Is there a decent, high capacity oil pan out there that will fit my stock 1979 Camaro subframe, have decent ground clearance, and retain some oil pressure while hard on the brakes at nearly 130 MPH? (SBC, Driver's side dipstick, old style) Somehting with some built in windage features so I can eliminate some or all of the tin work hanging off the main cap and oil pan hardware would be cool as well. Parasitic loss reductions appreciated.

If someone has some actual on track experience that would be a bonus.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
20191 works good for budget applications, pretty close to the same pan

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
That's a deep sump pan you got now. Sometimes if you just add one additional qt of oil, it makes all the difference in the world.

But here are some choices.......Moroso 21019 or 21043 are both excellent sump pans.

Blessings............Ron

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
21019 is nice, but being he has a 20190 I figure that may be the budget range wanted? Maybe he can answer, if that is the case the 20191 will work nice.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ron I had tried adding additional oil, although not a full quart over full, maybe a quarter to a half quart. It did help, but did not cure the problem entirely. I looked up the 2 Moroso pans you listed, the first was for an Iron Eagle block whereas I have a factory block, and I couldn't find a listing for the other number.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Ron I had tried adding additional oil, although not a full quart over full, maybe a quarter to a half quart. It did help, but did not cure the problem entirely. I looked up the 2 Moroso pans you listed, the first was for an Iron Eagle block whereas I have a factory block, and I couldn't find a listing for the other number.
21019 is not the one I was thinking of, its the 21017 which is a newer pan

Then the budget pan I like is the 20191.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Butch the 20191 is the same pan I already have other than with a windage screen. (same sump dimensions as my current pan) It also uses the same pickup I currently use. There is no reason this pan would change anything in regards to shut down pressure. There has been no budget established yet, I just want a pan that keeps the pickup covered in all situations. I don't mind a little crossmember tweaking but I don't have the ability for a full on frame rebuild nor am I interested in doing so.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Butch the 20191 is the same pan I already have other than with a windage screen. (same sump dimensions as my current pan) It also uses the same pickup I currently use. There is no reason this pan would change anything in regards to shut down pressure. There has been no budget established yet, I just want a pan that keeps the pickup covered in all situations. I don't mind a little crossmember tweaking but I don't have the ability for a full on frame rebuild nor am I interested in doing so.
Are you using a one piece oil pan gasket? They are a bit thicker and the pick up ends up a little high. I have never had an issue with the 20191

The Camaro had the 20191 too, never an issue there at 131-133mph, not an issue at 150mph+ in Nate's Dragster

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Doug, call and talk to Moroso. They will make a pick up for you if needed/wanted

I think it was $65 for the Chevy II engine we did about 2 years ago, never needed a pick up made since then so I assume the price could be a little more now

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, I've always run the normal 4 piece cork pan set. Pickup is 1/4" from bottom. I tweaked the pickup lower for this year (to that number) but it didn't make a difference. The other thing different this year is the oil, using RP 5W-20, and I have no doubt that once up to temp (150 to 180 measured degrees oil temp) the oil is as thin as water so it isn't long before the oil is at the front of the sump. In looking at a bunch of different pan pictures, there seems to be little interest in creating an oil "trap" around the pickup, other than with the road race/circle track pans.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If your using a standard melling m55 pump I'm quite sure moroso will have a pickup that moves the pickup box forward a bit. P/N 24171? Check with Moroso Before ordering that number. It's been a while since I've done anything with a sbc.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I just bought the pan (one step up from that) i think. Mine is the same shape but has a windage tray in it. I also bought the matching anticavitaion pump and pick up. What I noticed over my old pan (7 quart but deeper sump) the pick up was more centered in the bottom of the pan. My older deeper pan it was located more to the back of the pan.... I do understand old pan better to keep pick up covered under acelleration, but not that good on braking. New pan, not as good on acelleration, but better on braking. As long as i dont have pressure problem on acelleration ... this one will work better ...... i guess?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had the same problem but with with a M10555 pump. Switched to a standard volume pump and a deeper pan (from 6 quart to 8 quart) and it fixed the problem. this was in a sbc.

Frank

·
Registered
42 Posts
X2 Wagontrain... cheap insurance, at any price. If you're that worried about weight just leave it alone. That hole(s) in block and lost rods will make it lighter! Tad more expensive though.......

·
"Less talk, more thought"
2,134 Posts
Put an accumlator on it. Instead of buying another pan. Now you have cold start prime.
X1000
rear sump in Thunderbird BB Ford
open accumulator before the pass- as you shut down and the oil runs away from the pickup, the accumulator will push oil back in at whatever the highest oil pressure the engine made.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts